Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

southwestern vs. baylor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sunkists, Apr 6, 2004.

1. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

4 years ago, US news had southwestern as #8 in the country and baylor as #22.

what's going on?

2. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Are you sure, this trend compiled in another thread says otherwise.

Then again, I really wasn't paying attention back then.

Attached Files:

3. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

hmm pretty sure -- a few years ago i saved the old html file on my home computer and i checked it a few weeks ago when i went back. this was when i was in high school and so i guess i never really thought too much about what each school was ranked.

4. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Hmm, well I trust the stats in the jpg provided. Are you sure they were research rankings?

I somehow doubt that UTSW was ranked as highly as 8, or that Baylor was ranked as low as 22.

5. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

Why do you doubt Baylor being that low? What exactly does the school have going for it? (Not trying to be sarcastic, just want your opinion)

6. cmz

cmz Pathology Wannabe
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Baylor has pretty much always had a ****-load of NIH funding... and it helps they have many alliances in the Texas Medical Center.

7. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

Because the top 20 schools stay pretty stationary in US News over any 5 year period. Take a look at the jpg I attached that someone else generated on another thread. Did any school fall the 10-11 places required to drop from 12/13 to 22? Also Baylor has been in the top 15 in each year according to that jpg, so I doubt it fell within the past 5 years.

Case had the largest drop I saw of 6. So it has nothing to do with Baylor persay. You could call Baylor "Cornell" or "UCLA" (similarly ranked schools). Something catastrophic would have had to happen for ANY school to drop 10 places from the top 15 schools.

I think your question, what Baylor has going for it, is two-headed. Im not sure which head you are referring to (what does it have going for students/itself, or what does it have in terms of US News). In the case of US News, its pretty selective with a relatively high MCAT and GPA, large amount of research funding. Its weakness is a marginally worse reputation score than other similarly ranked schools.

In general, the curriculum is good (1.5 years), the residency placement is really good (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111427), board scores are really really high, facilities are nice, its in a nice part of town, lots of great hospitals, huge patient volume, and so on.

I also get the feeling that its one of those schools that people wish they had applied to, placing Baylor with schools like Emory, Rochester, Vanderbilt, Pitt, Northwestern. Every single person I know who has interviewed there, in or out of state, has come away extremely impressed.

Its also the best deal in medicine by far nowadays in terms of tuition.

8. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

If ya get a chance, can ya upload that file or an image capture of it? Im interested to see it in relation to the jpg ranking history attached above.

9. sunkists

sunkists im a fatty
    7+ Year Member

file is on my home computer... really far away. :(

10. ms. a

ms. a Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually recall looking at the US News rankings in either 1999 or 2000. I specifically remember Baylor as being ranked #12 at that time, as that was the first time I started considering going to Baylor. So, unless it mysteriously dropped 10 points for one year, which I doubt, I'm going to have to support Gleevec in maintaining that Baylor has never been #22, at least not in recent decades.

11. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

Thanks for the long post (which I severely truncated) Gleevec. I'm having trouble deciding between Baylor and another place, so I wanted to see if I was missing something.

12. ms. a

ms. a Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Choose the other place!!! You don't want to go to Baylor!!!

Just kidding ... well, mostly. I'm just so desparate to get into Baylor, sorry.

13. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

laf. well if you and eraser(?)/bjork can convince everybody to withdraw from ucsd, maybe we can swing a trade ;)

don't worry, baylor's waitlist moves earlier than others... and the accept rate last year was gianormous (over 25%).

14. Gleevec

7+ Year Member

25%? Do you mean off the waitlist.

The overall acceptance rate is around 8% if I read correctly.

Yikes, all these different and contradictory numbers are confusing me lol.

15. I'm not sure what you are talking about but the UCSD waitlist moves tons.

16. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

not for me it doesn't.

Whoopsies gleevec, i was looking at the "other" school

17. rager1

rager1 Anatomy-be-gone
    7+ Year Member

Baylor's accept rate is different for out-of-state vs. in-state. In-staters have a much higher acceptance rate which might be somewhere above 10%. If you look under the admissions link for Baylor on the usnews website you'll see what the numbers are.

However Baylor's overall acceptance rate is nowhere near 25%..or at least it wasn't in the 2004 rankings.
    Baylor was the 5th most-selective medical school in the country according to USNews in the 2004 rankings. Most weight was given to the average MCAT score (.6, I think), GPA (.3), and then admit rate (.1). Though my memory might be a little skewed with regards to the weighting numbers...

--Rager

18. No Egrets

No Egrets Bachelorette of Science
    7+ Year Member

Baylor accepts about 50% of the people they interview... i think this includes waitlist, so i don't know what the acceptance rate is pre-May 15 or whatever. but they did tell us this statistic at the interview.

19. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

According to USNews, Baylor's acceptance rate for in-state is 15.5%, out-of-state is 3.7%. Overall their acceptance rate is 7% and they are the 7th "most selective" medical school.

20. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

One word about Baylor.... Kretzer :cool:

We had a Kretzer lecture this morning on the vestibular-nystagmus pathways. Man, we get him so little nowadays I keep forgetting how great a prof he is.

21. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member