sp2 hybridization implies adjacent sp2 hybridization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true? Let me know if I"m the only person who's learned this "rule."

cgWJt.png

If this is true then why is the chlorine in chlorate anion sp3 hybridized?

Chlorate-anion.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this rule either. But it definitely makes sense in the context of resonance-induced sp2 hybridization. However, there are still atoms like boron which will have sp2 hybridization without having pi-bonds (and therefore will not cause their neighbouring atom with a lone pair to undergo resonance). So I am not too confident about this "rule" either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah amides are definitely sp2 hybridized. Do the -O- (the ethers) in esters have sp2 hybridization as well?

You sure about that? Everything in an amide is sp2 hybridized.

Amide-picture.png
You're definitely correct, sorry about that. Also esters don't seem to work either. I think their example work however if you assume the octet rule and the atom is connected to carbon, because then a lone is in a conjugated system with the double bond.

also, I'm not sure about this, but what about an oxmide? is the oxygen sp2 hybridized?
300px-General_structure_of_oximes.svg.png

Last edited:
The oximes would have resonance. But it would create a fairly unstable resonance structure (positive formal charge on oxygen and a lone pair on a carbon). So I am not sure if that resonance structure even contributes enough to cause sp2 hybridization. I am leaning towards yes. In any case, aldoxime would be the more stable structure as it would have the less substituted carbanion :cool: