sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
Visit site
Status
quick question. a nitrogen (N) attached to 2 carbons and have 2 lone pairs is sp3. But my instructor says if the same nitrogen is part of an aromatic ring, it is sp2. is this true?

TripleDegree

Joker Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Unless perhaps there was a double bond involved somewhere?

What form would N appear on an aromatic ring? As an NH2 group?

About the Ads

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by sdnstud
quick question. a nitrogen (N) attached to 2 carbons and have 2 lone pairs is sp3. But my instructor says if the same nitrogen is part of an aromatic ring, it is sp2. is this true?
only if there is a possibility of donating the lone pair for the stability of aromatic ring then those electrons become delocalized and N is considered sp2 otherwise it will still be sp3

good example is coffee structure:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/news/ask/index.shtml

In the ring on the left.....at first glance you will think that N is sp3 hybrid but N gives its electrons to the ring and O becomes negative charge..... when both N do that, the ring is stabilized and electrons fron N lone pairs are delocalized making it sp2

I hope it was helpful

krull

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Visit site
Status
If the resonance structure of the the molecule is more stable when Nitrogen has a double bond such as R2N=R then nitrogen is Sp2 hybridized. If the resonance structure of the double bonded Nitrogen atom is a less stable product than its single bonded resonance form, then the molecule is Sp3 (R-N-R)

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by CanIMakeIt
only if there is a possibility of donating the lone pair for the stability of aromatic ring then those electrons become delocalized and N is considered sp2 otherwise it will still be sp3

good example is coffee structure:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/news/ask/index.shtml

In the ring on the left.....at first glance you will think that N is sp3 hybrid but N gives its electrons to the ring and O becomes negative charge..... when both N do that, the ring is stabilized and electrons fron N lone pairs are delocslized msking n sp2

I hope it was helpful
coffee is aromatic rite?

4(1) + 2 = 6?

Nuel

15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2003
Rap Group Home
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by jhk43
coffee is aromatic rite?

4(1) + 2 = 6?
Actually on the picture there are 10 aromatic pi electrons. I don't think aromaticity is tested this MCAT season.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
In pyridine, for example, the Kekule structure is drawn with one single bond and one double bond--a fiction, obviously, but it does suggest the correct answer of sp2. In pyrrole, which is a little weird, you get (technically) sp3 hybridization but the extra stability of the aromaticity forces the non-bonded pi electrons to delocalize and take on sp2 character.

See this word doc about aromatics (page 20)

babinski bob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
By definition, one of the criteria of aromaticity is planarity. Therefore all atoms part of an aromatic system are sp2 hybridized.

About the Ads