sp2 or sp3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdnstud

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
quick question. a nitrogen (N) attached to 2 carbons and have 2 lone pairs is sp3. But my instructor says if the same nitrogen is part of an aromatic ring, it is sp2. is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless perhaps there was a double bond involved somewhere?

What form would N appear on an aromatic ring? As an NH2 group?

Originally posted by sdnstud
quick question. a nitrogen (N) attached to 2 carbons and have 2 lone pairs is sp3. But my instructor says if the same nitrogen is part of an aromatic ring, it is sp2. is this true?

only if there is a possibility of donating the lone pair for the stability of aromatic ring then those electrons become delocalized and N is considered sp2 otherwise it will still be sp3

good example is coffee structure:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/news/ask/index.shtml

In the ring on the left.....at first glance you will think that N is sp3 hybrid but N gives its electrons to the ring and O becomes negative charge..... when both N do that, the ring is stabilized and electrons fron N lone pairs are delocalized making it sp2

I hope it was helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
If the resonance structure of the the molecule is more stable when Nitrogen has a double bond such as R2N=R then nitrogen is Sp2 hybridized. If the resonance structure of the double bonded Nitrogen atom is a less stable product than its single bonded resonance form, then the molecule is Sp3 (R-N-R)

Originally posted by CanIMakeIt
only if there is a possibility of donating the lone pair for the stability of aromatic ring then those electrons become delocalized and N is considered sp2 otherwise it will still be sp3

good example is coffee structure:

http://www.brynmawr.edu/news/ask/index.shtml

In the ring on the left.....at first glance you will think that N is sp3 hybrid but N gives its electrons to the ring and O becomes negative charge..... when both N do that, the ring is stabilized and electrons fron N lone pairs are delocslized msking n sp2

I hope it was helpful

coffee is aromatic rite?

4(1) + 2 = 6?

Originally posted by jhk43
coffee is aromatic rite?

4(1) + 2 = 6?

Actually on the picture there are 10 aromatic pi electrons. I don't think aromaticity is tested this MCAT season.

In pyridine, for example, the Kekule structure is drawn with one single bond and one double bond--a fiction, obviously, but it does suggest the correct answer of sp2. In pyrrole, which is a little weird, you get (technically) sp3 hybridization but the extra stability of the aromaticity forces the non-bonded pi electrons to delocalize and take on sp2 character.

See this word doc about aromatics (page 20)

By definition, one of the criteria of aromaticity is planarity. Therefore all atoms part of an aromatic system are sp2 hybridized.