Space Available Flights and Navy Lodging, Military Resorts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

|2idicu|ous

Dismembered Tennessean
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken (or tried to take) a Space Available flight? Can you take Space Available flights on other branches? How hard is it to get on one?

Has anyone ever stayed at a Navy Lodge, other branch equivalent, or military resort? How do they compare to civilian hotels?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not tried to take one but my parents have. You can take a space A in any military branch. It is a crap shoot though. For the most part you have to show up the day of the flight, with no reservation, and hope they will have space for you. If they do not, you just have to wait around for one. This can become a problem if your vacation is on a limited schedule and you have to be home by a certain date/time.

I have stayed a many military lodges and for the most part they are as good if not better than civilian hotels, especially for the money. They are relatively cheap. If you get lucky and the BOQ is not full of people traveling on actual orders you can stay there and it is much cheaper than the lodge. I hate to say this but the Air Force usually has they best facilities. Give me a ring if you want to know more.

I have not tried to take one but my parents have. You can take a space A in any military branch. It is a crap shoot though. For the most part you have to show up the day of the flight, with no reservation, and hope they will have space for you. If they do not, you just have to wait around for one. This can become a problem if your vacation is on a limited schedule and you have to be home by a certain date/time.

I have stayed a many military lodges and for the most part they are as good if not better than civilian hotels, especially for the money. They are relatively cheap. If you get lucky and the BOQ is not full of people traveling on actual orders you can stay there and it is much cheaper than the lodge. I hate to say this but the Air Force usually has they best facilities. Give me a ring if you want to know more.
This may be a silly question but can a person only stay at the base of their particular branch? Or can an Army dude stay at an AF base? Also, how do you find places to stay? Just look up if the city has a base or not? sorry, I'm new to all this.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be a silly question but can a person only stay at the base of their particular branch? Or can an Army dude stay at an AF base? Also, how do you find places to stay? Just look up if the city has a base or not? sorry, I'm new to all this.

thanks!

You can stay at any branch's lodges. But people with orders get first come first serve preference. This is a game sometimes b/c you can have a buddy in your S1 draft up a command letter that gets you to the top. Not legal but it does happen.

https://www.navy-lodge.com/travel-links.html

The new sanno in tokyo and the Dragon hill lodge in seoul were very nice for the money considering the surrounding hotels prices.

The orders thing only applies to the BOQ you can make reservations at the lodge without orders. Yes, you can stay on any base.

The orders thing only applies to the BOQ you can make reservations at the lodge without orders. Yes, you can stay on any base.

Yes you can make reservations at the lodge without orders, but service members with orders will be given priority especially overseas.

The problem with Space A flight is normally not going there, but getting back. That's the harder part, and why they say to start two or three days before you need to get back.

Lodges, they are hotels with sub-Marriott amenities. The last time I stayed in a Navy Lodge they didn't have high speed internet access. Maybe I am a tech geek, but that's a benchmark. They are considerablly cheaper than civilian hotels, but you get what you pay for. Better than the BOQ usually. Beds are still fine.

There are some weird situations you run into. For example, if I was travelling to Groton, CT, or Newport, RI, I would rather be in the BOQ than the Susse Chalet. Thanks to some supply officer back room deal, the service is better in the BOQ. Case in point, retiree contractor friend of mine on same trip stayed in Chalet, and us in BOQ. His toilet overflowed. Front desk gave him the plunger. Granted this a very service specific, base specific anecetdote, but I feel it serves the purpose.

Best bet, get your orders endorsed for gov't housing not available, then stay at a civilian (marriott or hilton for the points) hotel. Not always easy to day, but always preferable. My Bose headphones and iPod attest to it.

Shades of Green at Disney World is very nice. Plus you can't beat 100 bucks a night for a room in the park. (Though don't forget to ask about military discounts. Taking the family to Disney in August. Swan and Dolphin a very nice Disney owned resort has rooms for 149/night for military and dependents. Steve

Is there a website that lists normal military flight schedules? Or do you just have to be on base and ask people who's going where and when?

They do not usually post the schedules on the internet. Your best bet is to call the specific base for the schedule.

There is an annually published book with all this info in it - you can order it on this site: http://www.militaryalmanac.com/ for a few bucks or check out the local USO, retirees associations, or base travel agency (the commercial guys, not TMO!!) for a free browse.

It lists all the bases and what each has plus contact numbers for each of the AMC passenger operating offices. In general BOQs are adequate to nice. Some are better than others - ask around if there is someplace specific you are trying to go.

I have flown spaceA pretty regularly since I got HPSP. My wife is a resident at TAMC so cheap/free flights to HI are always welcome. The trick is to avoid times of the years when families are travelling, ie beginning of summer and holidays. With OIF there are regular medevac flights across the US that you can kinda depend on. These two sites should answer any of your questions. The forums on the second link will post the recordings of flight schedules up to 48 ahead of time with the available seats (generally). Rule #1 is be flexible with your travel times, I have had to wait up to 4 days to catch a flight. Good luck!

www.spacea.net
www.pepperd.com/scgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

HPSP students can fly Space A anytime.