Quantcast

Spain

Application is now open for MD & PhD 2022 Intake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmArIe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all well I’m From Puerto Rico and considering the idea of going to med school in Spain , specifically the Universidad de Navarra . I have been hearing that if I go to school there I won’t be able to do a residency and practice back in the US, is this true? I would like to specialize in Peds would that be a difficult residency to get? Right now I’m getting a biology degree besides my business degree that I already and I’m 24.

nena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
have you considered UAG? theres a lot of PRicans there...plus you could probably do 5th pathway in ponce...probably easier than going to spain...

AmArIe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nena said:
have you considered UAG? theres a lot of PRicans there...plus you could probably do 5th pathway in ponce...probably easier than going to spain...
I did but I don't want a place were there are a lot of PRicans and also I have family in Spain and in Mexico I have no one so that's another factor to considered.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
ylitia said:
Hi all well I’m From Puerto Rico and considering the idea of going to med school in Spain , specifically the Universidad de Navarra . I have been hearing that if I go to school there I won’t be able to do a residency and practice back in the US, is this true? I would like to specialize in Peds would that be a difficult residency to get? Right now I’m getting a biology degree besides my business degree that I already and I’m 24.

Remember there are a couple of PR schools which are LCME accredited and would not render you a foreign grad in the eyes of US program directors. if you can get into those schools that would be your best option.

Secondly, there is no reason why a graduate from a school in Spain which is listed on the WHO directory of medical schools would not be eligible for US residency training. Please see the information at ECFMG and NRMP for eligibility to train in the US after graduation: http://www.ecfmg.org
and
http://www.nrmp.org

In general, if the school is listed on the WHO directory, you pass the USMLE exams and any other ECFMG requirements, you are eligible to apply for residency training in the US. I'm not sure why you are being told the opposite.

Pediatrics is not considered a competitive specialty. Like all fields, there are some programs which are more difficult to obtain a residency in (ie, Pediatrics at Harvard might be more difficult to get into than a Surgical Specialty at a lower tiered community program). However, in general Pediatrics is not a difficult residency match.

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ylitia, i go to Ponce School of Medicine, if you have any question about the school or the 5th pathway you can email me.