Spanish Major in Undergrad -- Boosts Chances of Getting Accepted into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctHouse

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd assume if you major in Spanish, that medical schools would view you as more useful because you'd be bilingual, wouldn't they?

I'm a senior in High School currently. I know the major you choose doesn't matter all too much in terms of getting accepted. I just have been researching the wide variety of majors that med schools would see as rather, 'unique.'

Any input? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would imagine your language proficiency would be seen as more 'unique' than the major itself.

Also to answer your overall question: No, the major won't be seen as anything too special or give you some 'boost' in the application process. The formula is simple:

Strong GPA + Strong MCAT + Good ECs + Well Written App + (optional) Research + Logical School list = acceptance

Reactions: 3 users
Your major doesn't boost your chances, what you do with your experiences will. So if you're a Spanish major, you have unique opportunities that if you can take advantage of, will reflect in your PS, ECs, and LORs. Certain schools like UCLA do recommend Spanish, but this is more of a cherry on top.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Spanish and Bio double major. I am so happy with my decision, though it took me quite a while to come to it. Major in whatever makes you happy. If that's Spanish, major in Spanish, but if not, don't do something just to look good for medical schools. If you really love your major, med schools will see that when you talk about it :)

As others have said, it's not the major, but rather its utilization. If you can find some good ECs that you like with which to utilize your Spanish and serve the Latino community, that will be a boost to your app. Try to gain proficiency in the language such that you could talk with Spanish speaking patients and I think that will be helpful to you as a doctor.

Reactions: 1 users
A Spanish major might sound like "leg up" but I would strongly suggest you choose a science major or double major with a science.

My advice is bias and based on personal experience, however I really wish someone told me to major in biology or chemistry, instead of wasting time on a nutrition degree. I actually had an academic advisor tell me to stick with nutrition because the major is "different" and it will make you "stand out" as an applicant.. I have no idea how adcoms view ones major, but I am almost certain that no body cares what your major is in as long as you do well in your classes and subsequently score well on the mcat. Not only does a science major allow you to mingle with other premeds at school, but it also gives you a significant advantage when you study for the mcat. Although nutrition is an associated science, classes like genetics, cell bio, etc were not required for us. This was something I personally struggled with when it came to mcat prep, and something to this day I still regret. I can't even imagine the struggle as a non-science major.

Again my advice is bias and if anyone has insight on how adcoms view an applicant's major I am curious. I think Its great that you are interested in Spanish but instead of dedicating your major to it you should get involved in Spanish related ECs (and totally learn the language on your own! From my experiences schools really appreciate a bilingual ability)

They'll ask why, but will it give you advantage nope. Study whatever it is your heart so desires, just add a pre-med concentration/track so you can take the nescessary courses for entrance to medical school. All the stuff you learn undergrad will be blazed through in like 2 days anyways lol.

- someone who majored in neuroscience to "get an advantage"

Thanks everyone, appreciate the answers.