spanish while you learn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nitro girl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, does anyone know of programs that allow you to learn spanish while working in a spanish speaking country, possibly getting credit, elective or FP, over the summer? Im thinking after boards, possibly? thnx! NG

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Nitro Girl.

I am sure there are tons, but the one that comes to mind is Child Family Health International. They have a variety of programs, many in spanish-speaking countries. Most have home-stay with a family, and language training is included or optional. They seem pretty well established, and have student experiences posted. The downside is $$$ to participate. They are designed to serve as a clinical elective.

<a href="http://www.cfhi.org" target="_blank">www.cfhi.org</a>

Chris_Topher

Hi. I volunteered in a all Spanish-speaking free clinic for migrant farmworkers in south florida last summer, and i learned spanish fluently. Some residents (osteopathic) were evn doing residencies there. I even learned how to translate. I'm sure there are clinics like these in many locations in the US

I went on the Child Family Health International Program in Quito and it was great. We learned medical Spanish in the morning and rotated in various hospitals in the afternoon (or vise versa). The Spanish lessons were great and my Spanish improved greatly!