Spanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotOlivierGiroud

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad and am in 200 level spanish. I do not have time to major unless I study abroad in Ecuador next summer but I do not want to pay for it ($10 grand). I was wondering how much a Spanish minor would set me apart in my future applications and if it is worth it continuing on with it!?

Members don't see this ad.

It would not set you apart at all, it's very common. Don't waste your time on a minor unless you're genuinely interested, because med schools won't care at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad and am in 200 level spanish. I do not have time to major unless I study abroad in Ecuador next summer but I do not want to pay for it ($10 grand). I was wondering how much a Spanish minor would set me apart in my future applications and if it is worth it continuing on with it!?
Having a declared minor won't set you apart or help you in the med school application process. If you want to add luster to your application, find a local situation that will require you to use your Spanish.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with the above. A Spanish minor isn’t going to mean much. Assuming you speak and understand Spanish pretty well, I would try to find some ECs/patient hours where you could use your Spanish. A few free clinics in my area have volunteer opportunities for Spanish translators. I would try looking for something like that.