Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Speaking of non-traditional premeddies...

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Biomedical Eng./Premed, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey.

I am a college freshman that dreams of being a doctor, I do not know how easy it will be since I intend to get a medical degree whilst having an engineering bachelor degree. At my university, however, they do not offer all of the premedical prerequisites. So I do not know what to do or how to cover them. I am also quite concerned that I will not be allowed to apply to medical school without the completion of these courses.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Eccesignum

Eccesignum I Narcanned Your Honor Student
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Get whatever degree you want now.

Once you've graduated, find another university that does offer your missing pre-reqs. Take them. It might take a little bit, so work and volunteer in the meantime. Then apply to medical school.

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Public service announcement.
    1. There is never a good reason to use the word "whilst" outside the context of a Charles Dickens impersonation.
    2. Unless there is a mortgage, marriage, midlife crisis or menial rent-paying job in the story, a college freshman is a traditional premed, regardless of major.

5. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was thinking more of "apply for online courses" . Not seeking a degree or anything, just covering the credits. Or is that not okay for the med school application?

6. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know that you think you're better then the rest of us, but I know what I am saying. My university does not give the standard american "Freshman" courses. It is an engineering school.

7. Vespasian

Vespasian "Vae, puto deus fio!"
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Whether or not you are able to take the "standard american "Freshman" courses" has nothing to do with the traditional/nontraditional designation.

A nontraditional student (pre-med) is typically someone who; didn't continue their education after graduating HS, attends college part time, works full time, is financially independent, has children/dependents aside from a spouse, is a single parent, or has a HS equivalency instead of diploma.

Those items are certainly not all inclusive but help to define what is considered a nontraditional student. I believe that was the point that Dr.Midlife was making- your situation as described is not nontraditional.

DrMidlife likes this.
  8. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Many MD schools do not accept online coursework for the pre-reqs. I suggest finding a local CC or 4 year school to do them in, or take some gap years.

I also suggest dropping the engineering major, because these tend to do damage to GPAs....unless you're saving the skills for Plan B, which is fine.

ATL.F.Doc likes this.
  9. wholeheartedly

Administrator 7+ Year Member

This makes me think your current university is not in the U.S. Is that correct? If your current university isnt in the U.S. there are several other issues that need to be taken into account as well. For instance, some schools wont accept international students, some won't accept degrees from outside the U.S. or Canada, some will take students who completed degrees elsewhere with prereqs completed here in the U.S. or a years worth of credits in the U.S. The specifics on those requirements can typically be found on the school's website.

10. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If having an engineering degree as your first major before medical school considered traditional in the States/Canada, then I owe Mr Midlife an apology.

#9 Biomedical Eng./Premed, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  11. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is correct it is not in the states, nor is my targeted medical school. However, my first choice medical school follows the American system of teaching (having 4 years of post grad medical school, unlike the rest of the universities in the area.), and is not in the States. Is there a website where I can find all accredited-by-the-states universities?

12. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It was certain circumstances that forced me to take the engineering major in the first place, and my main concern now is not covering the credits. I've given some thought to the idea of dropping the engineering course, but I decided to give a shot, and transfer later on if nothing goes well. But what you said is correct, I am worried about med school and working out a plan B.
    I do not reside in the States so I do not have access to a CC, and found that online coursework from certain American universities to be a great option.
    Or is it not?

13. Vespasian

Vespasian "Vae, puto deus fio!"
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm fairly certain your major doesn't really factor into your traditional/nontraditional status. If you spend any length of time around the forum, or dig around a little bit, you'll come across traditional (and non-traditional) students majoring in engineering.

14. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Invest in MSAR Online to find out what schools do and don't accept such coursework.

My own school does, as long as they're from an accredited university.

Vespasian likes this.
  15. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So we're talking about residency in the US after non-US med ed. The international forums on SDN will be more helpful, also ecfmg.org.
    Not really, but California tends to be the best place to start. Google California Medical Licensing Board.

Also you'll want to pay attention to the match data on nrmp.org. The match rate for foreign grads is 50% and falling.

A traditional US med student:
    1. starts college before age 20
    2. decides on a career during college
    3. frequently that means doing the work to get into med school right after getting a bachelors

16. jl lin

7+ Year Member

Yes but it does seem to have that European flare to it.

17. jl lin

7+ Year Member

No offense, but come on. That was a bit harsh. She's just being Dr. ML. That's her style. She is to the point.

ATL.F.Doc likes this.
  18. dfarr01

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just because you're in a university doesn't mean you're stuck there until you finish your major. Treat education like business. If you want to go medical and you're looking at an engineering degree missing pre-reqs, and they don't have another course of study that's fitting... The answer is obvious. Apply to another school. Finish your quarter/semester strong. Go to a school that offers the courses and the major you really want. As soon as you do that you'll be a "traditional student". You're setting yourself up for a difficult road getting a degree in something that doesn't fulfill what you need. I'm just starting that route and now I'm gulping as I scan over a long list of courses I need to smash.

19. ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    It is traditional that medical schools don't give a **** what your major was as long as you did well and took the right pre-reqs.

Pro tip - if you want any help on this website, drop the arrogance ASAP.

20. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have found an American university that offers an "MCAT year long course", and the can offer it over the course of a few summers. With that, I can cover all pre-reqs. Do you think that will be acceptable on my application?

Also, thank you so much for the helpful websites and information.

21. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I just went through a few threads of "non traditionals", and I honestly was a bit startled. Where I live, pursing an engineering degree to begin with is considered straying away from the medical path. It was interesting knowing about such cases. I understand that thoughts and life in the USA is different, I should've read more before naming this thread :happy:

22. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Application for med school? Where? Acceptable to whom?

If you're now asking about getting into a US med school that's a completely different topic from getting a US residency after med school elsewhere.

Very common: going to med school outside the US then doing residency in the US so you can practice in the US
    Very rare: getting into med school in the US without US citizenship or permanent residency

This forum has nothing to offer for med school admissions outside the US.

Goro likes this.
  23. Biomedical Eng./Premed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My first choice medical school is at an American university, but it is not in the States. However, I have compared its requirements with a few of the universities in North America, and they are pretty much the same. I began this whole thread because I was worried what might happen to me due to incomplete pre-reqs. I have found a solution, however, which is to complete them over summers as a visiting student at an American University back home "whilst" continuing my engineering degree ;). Hopefully all goes well. Also, I do want to do my residency in Canada or the USA.
    Again, thank you for your help.

24. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can probably find recent graduates of your target med school in residencies in the US. Finding people who have the same background as you, and are more or less where you want to go, would be worthwhile. This can give you good info of what actually matters vs. what seems like it matters. Find consensus opinions.

It's time consuming, but pretty straightforward, to find people. In general, Google FREIDA, pick a specialty or two, pick a variety of residencies, go to their program websites (usually the FREIDA links aren't as good as Google), look at current residents. If a program doesn't do a good job of making that info available, just move on to another program.

Best of luck to you.

25. ThoracicGuy

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you want to do residency in the US, you should look to do medical school in the US.

26. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Med school in the US without US citizenship or permanent residency:
    1. happens fairly often for Canadians
    2. happens extremely rarely for non-Canadians
    3. typically requires 1-2 years of full time undergrad study in the US
    4. typically requires the student to front the full cost of attendance into escrow

If you have info that contradicts or enhances the above, that would be welcome, as the question comes up every week or so.

27. ThoracicGuy

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't say it was easy, but medical school in the US IS the best path to residency in the US. We don't know where exactly the OP is talking about because of all the vagueness of the post. It's hard to give much more advice otherwise.

Can they make it to residency from outside the US? Certainly. It's harder though.

28. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is not a US citizen or I'd be vehemently agreeing.

Foreign premeds have at best a 20% chance at a US MD school, assuming the requirements I mentioned above are done.

Foreign medical grads have about a 50% match rate in getting US residencies.

Per AAMC 2014 data:
    # international US MD applicants, includes Canadians, doesn't include DO schools: between 1100 and 1500, depending on which report you read
    # international matriculants as above: between 130 and 230

Per NRMP 2015 match data:
    # foreign grads applied: 7366
    # Canadians applied: 24
    # foreign grads matched: 3641
    # Canadians matched: 17

Not to say I'm in favor of brain drain, I just like data.