Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Speaking Spanish

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Peeshee, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Peeshee

Peeshee Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For those of you currently in residency or have information regarding this issue, please let me know. I would like to find out what has been your experience dealing with Spanish speaking patients.
    Also, when applying for residency, do the residency directors look highly upon having taken Spanish during medical school? I have also heard that if you take at least 2 semesters of Spanish during medical school, it is considered impressive.
    Please let me know what your thoughts are...
    Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Magree

Magree Senior Member

Hi:

I have done some student rotations in locations with a larger percentage of spanish-speaking patients. I think it was a bonus to know spanish prior to starting, however, all the residents were given training (this was in an ER) if they didn't speak spanish. If you plan to do residency in the south/west - or another area where there are a lot of spanish-speakers I would definitely take spanish. Even if it doesn't help you secure the spot - some programs offer spanish-speaking residents an hourly pay differential which is pretty cool :) . Hope this helps.

Cheers,

M-