Speaking Spanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peeshee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you currently in residency or have information regarding this issue, please let me know. I would like to find out what has been your experience dealing with Spanish speaking patients.
Also, when applying for residency, do the residency directors look highly upon having taken Spanish during medical school? I have also heard that if you take at least 2 semesters of Spanish during medical school, it is considered impressive.
Please let me know what your thoughts are...
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I have done some student rotations in locations with a larger percentage of spanish-speaking patients. I think it was a bonus to know spanish prior to starting, however, all the residents were given training (this was in an ER) if they didn't speak spanish. If you plan to do residency in the south/west - or another area where there are a lot of spanish-speakers I would definitely take spanish. Even if it doesn't help you secure the spot - some programs offer spanish-speaking residents an hourly pay differential which is pretty cool :) . Hope this helps.

Cheers,

M-