Speaking with a family doctor DO today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tell me everything you know about DOs now!!

JK, but what are some interesting topics/ questions/ info you could give me so I don't sound like a dolt? I have only shadowed MDs before. Some dos and don'ts would be good also.

I really like the idea of preventative medicine ... Also think OMM sounds interesting.... Not sure what else -_-;;

Members don't see this ad.

Reallly? Talk to them like an MD. Maybe ask about OHM but other than that, its the same thing.

What is OHM? (Looked it up and is it just the training service?)

Never had a phone conversation with a doctor before so I just feel a bit awkward haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely bring up OMM, as this is something unique to being a DO. You may also want to bring up residency placements and maybe question why they became a DO. You could see where they went to school and maybe ask some questions regarding their clinical rotations. See if family practice was their first choice, or ask if they received their first choice residency.

Lots of questions could be asked...

One of the DO's I shadowed was very blatantly honest with me and welcomed any questions. I even asked why they didn't go to the Caribs.

Yeah there are lots of fun questions to ask. Ask if he has any specific philosophies on patient care. Another question I asked the doc I shadowed is how he chose his specialty, and how the osteopathic philosophy that's so often talked about (holistic, etc.) functions in that specialty.

I loved talking with my doc, he was very insightful and awesome. I hope yours is as well. Best of luck man. :)

Definitely bring up OMM, as this is something unique to being a DO. You may also want to bring up residency placements and maybe question why they became a DO. You could see where they went to school and maybe ask some questions regarding their clinical rotations. See if family practice was their first choice, or ask if they received their first choice residency.

Lots of questions could be asked...

One of the DO's I shadowed was very blatantly honest with me and welcomed any questions. I even asked why they didn't go to the Caribs.

What was his answer to why he didn't go to Caribbeans? Just out of curiosity.

What was his answer to why he didn't go to Caribbeans? Just out of curiosity.

She said you will always be looked at as a freak. Very true story.

It's probably a little extreme but I lol'd.

She said you will always be looked at as a freak. Very true story.

It's probably a little extreme but I lol'd.

Hahaha, I talked to an MD who went to the Carrib. HOWEVER, I believe he came from Russia or a 2nd/3rd world country.... So it was more understandable.

Ask them how much of medicine, in their opinion, is art and how much is science now? And how will that change in the future with stricter standards of care and treatment guidelines?

Ask them about their opinion on roles of PAs and NPs in primary care, and in other specialties.

Finally, ask them if they think OMM should NOT be exclusive to DOs anymore or if OMM altogether should be gotten rid of in pre-clinical years, and only taught during clinical years/residency.

Ask them how much of medicine, in their opinion, is art and how much is science now? And how will that change in the future with stricter standards of care and treatment guidelines?

Ask them about their opinion on roles of PAs and NPs in primary care, and in other specialties.

Finally, ask them if they think OMM should NOT be exclusive to DOs anymore or if OMM altogether should be gotten rid of in pre-clinical years, and only taught during clinical years/residency.

This may be a dumb question but what do you mean by how much is art and how much is science? (Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough about the distinction)

Art: aesthetic principles
Science: systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation

Are you asking how much is already known vs experimentation?

I think he's referring to how much of it is actual learned knowledge (textbook stuff), and how much is feeling and practice. Science would be understanding muscles, etc... art would be visualizing sculptures (both tie into the human anatomy). That's a good osteopathic medicine question, especially with its emphasis on OMM and stuff.

It is actually a good question for any physician in virtually any specialty- it is difficult to describe, but many aspects of medicine will simply not be successful if the provider doesn't integrate their own creative process.

This may be a dumb question but what do you mean by how much is art and how much is science? (Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough about the distinction)

Art: aesthetic principles
Science: systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation

Are you asking how much is already known vs experimentation?

Think of it more like how much clinical judgement they're making in managing patients. For family docs, this will come into play when they have to manage patients with multiple co-morbidities and who are on multiple drug therapy. The docs have to balance how much more they can prescribe patients or how much more testing they can put them through versus how much the patient can tolerate and subsequently, how much they will be compliant with their medications and follow ups.

Basically, ask them if they feel that there is a way for them to navigate around treatment guidelines if unforeseen variables are present (i.e. patient has other conditions that are more serious, patient has numerous appointments with other docs and don't have time to get testing done on time that you want them to, or you suspect patient will be lost to follow up for a benign condition that might turn into something worse).

Like the other poster said, it's difficult to explain but the doc will know what you're referring to and maybe it will generate a nice discussion between you two from which you can learn something that you won't be taught for awhile (if ever).