special circumstances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squeakyuk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still getting my undergrad degree. I'm getting in the UK even though I'm from MA.

I have a really low GPA (especially for me) my first year- 2.5 because I was pregnant first term and then over Christmas I had my son. I'm trying really hard now to raise it... but best case (giving myself obvious lee-way with a child and taking classes in a different country) I'll finish with a 3.2 or so. Colleges in the UK are only 3 years so I can't compensate as much.

I know I'm going to take 2 years out (while my husband's getting his masters) and that first year I'm going to take the pre-med/post-bac classes and since I'm really good at science I should definitely be high up (3.8 or so).

So if I do really well with my sciences and the MCAT and also volunteer as well, do you think med schools would take into account the whole 'raising a child while in college' circumstance into consideration and actually accept me?

I'm just really concerned about this. If anyone could explain any other circumstances they've had somewhat similar to this, please help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told by others with similar experiences that live-altering incidents (like being in a serious car accident, the death of a family member, or in your case having a child!) are good reasons for lower grades in the eyes of adcoms. As long as you continue to improve your grades, do well on the MCAT, and like you said do a good amount of community service and volunteering in the hospital you should be alright!

Not always. As a mother of two children I can tell you adcoms did not cut me any breaks. I'm pretty sure that if my GPA was a 3.8 with my 29 MCAT I would have gotten interviews at other schools (BTW my GPA is lower due to bad grades from years ago - my recent grades are over a 3.5).

In my experience, to make up for a poor GPA (<3.5), you need to have an mcat that is really awesome (>33). Look for a school that looks beyond numbers (if there are any in the UK) - there are a couple in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
MN81 said:
I have been told by others with similar experiences that live-altering incidents (like being in a serious car accident, the death of a family member, or in your case having a child!) are good reasons for lower grades in the eyes of adcoms. As long as you continue to improve your grades, do well on the MCAT, and like you said do a good amount of community service and volunteering in the hospital you should be alright!
Not so. I had severe family problems, and while the ADCOMs haven't held the reason for my poor grades against me, that hasn't prompted them to use my more recent work (ugrad GPA 2.35 vs. grad GPA 3.6) instead of my old ugrad grades when comparing me to other applicants. Even then, a 36 MCAT hasn't helped me much.

MN81 said:
You make a choice to become pregnant. You don't make a choice to get in a car accident or have a family member die.

chef_NU said:
You make a choice to become pregnant. You don't make a choice to get in a car accident or have a family member die.
This is helpful to anyone how?

chef_NU said:
Harsh. First, often you don't make a choice to become pregnant. You don't even know if she made the choice to have sex (though with a husband, she probably did, but you can't assume). But how is that different than choosing to drive? Sure, one may seem more "necessary" in the world, but all I'm saying is you take risks every day with everything you do, who are you to judge whether someone else's risks and 'misfortunates' (not to say children are misfortunes!) are morally lacking compared to your own?

I'd try to say something on-topic, but I am unfamiliar with international schools, post-bacc options, etc. Sorry! But I can say good luck!

chef_NU said:

Some people get pregnant other than 'by choice'

MN81 said:
Some people get pregnant other than 'by choice'
I have nothing to add to this discussion but the idea to use that pic of david brooks as your avatar was clever.

RxnMan said:
Not so. I had severe family problems, and while the ADCOMs haven't held the reason for my poor grades against me, that hasn't prompted them to use my more recent work (ugrad GPA 2.35 vs. grad GPA 3.6) instead of my old ugrad grades when comparing me to other applicants. Even then, a 36 MCAT hasn't helped me much.

RxnMan-
Sorry to hear about your application woes. I bet you'll get in with a 36. You can do it.

Maybe I worded my post incorrectly. I meant to emphasize that I know people who have had lower grades because of pregnancy or death in the family that felt like they were justified in using those reasons with adcoms.
It goes without saying that pregnancy, whether planned, unplanned, or unwanted is an increased stressor in a persons life.

I would hope that adcoms can see that.

MN81 said:
I would hope that adcoms can see that.
My point is that they don't treat you any differently. If you had lousy reasons for getting bad grades - you partied way too hard - the ADCOMs might throw your app out. But despite having "good" reasons, your ugrad gpa will always be used to compare you against other applicants, even if it's out of date (10+ years since you got them, Shy) or you have years of subsequent work demonstrating academic excellence (2.35 vs. 3.6, as in my case). Thus, many excellent applicants who have persevered in circumstances much more difficult than the normal premed (poverty, death in the family, pregnancy, which you could argue make you a better doc), are rejected.

RxnMan said:
many excellent applicants who have persevered in circumstances much more difficult than the normal premed (poverty, death in the family, pregnancy, which you could argue make you a better doc), are rejected.

I think we basically agree.

Bad grades can un-fairly have a negative effect on your application when a person has had huge stressors in your personal life. These factors should be an important part of the person...

I'll give you the example of a friend that I mentioned earlier who had been in a severe car accident.
He mentioned his experience in his secondary application. When he interviewed he was asked about his bad grades the year he was in the accident. After listening to my friend's experience the inteviewer said something along the lines of "I am surprised that you could even finish the semester with passing grades." The interviewer went on to comment that she didn't think that his low grades for that year were going to negatively affect their decision, considering the circumstances. Couple weeks later, he got in.

Now this is just one example. It sounds like you are getting the shaft. I guess my friend was fortunate.

I keep trying to edit that last message, but it won't let me... GRRRRR

So here is what I wanted to change...

I think we basically agree.

Bad grades can un-fairly have a negative effect on your application when a person has had huge stressors in your personal life. These factors should be an important part of the person...

I'll give you the example of a friend that I mentioned earlier who had been in a severe car accident.
He mentioned his experience in his secondary application. When he interviewed he was asked about his bad grades the year he was in the accident. After listening to my friend's experience the inteviewer said something along the lines of "I am surprised that you could even finish the semester with passing grades." The interviewer went on to comment that she didn't think that his low grades for that year were going to negatively affect their decision, considering the circumstances. Couple weeks later, he got in.

Now this is just one example. It sounds like you are getting the shaft. I guess my friend was fortunate.

I give up....