Special Masters or Post Bacc - Which will give me a better change at medical school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naeu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was debating whether or not to complete a Special Masters program or a post-bacc program?

My stats:

GPA: 3.14 overall and science (Low due to previous illness)
Major: Biomedical Engineering (BME)
MCAT: TBD

I have excellent shadowing, clinical hours, research experience, and volunteering. My sole issue is my GPA.

I didn't know which type of program to finish. As a BME, I have already taken all the basic AND graduate level science courses in my undergraduate career. I don't know if I should just keep taking classes independently to raise my uGPA or do a special masters program to factor in a gGPA. My concern is that even with the graduate GPA, my undergraduate GPA will be too low. Any questions or advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer recommending a SMP, especially one given at a med school (like, say, Gtown, Drexel Western, or PCOM) because they're auditions for med school given at the med school for the med school faculty, who are frequently on the Adcom. That way they know your capabilities, and it's a back door into the med school.