Army Special pay on transition leave?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since our contracts are July-July, do we still get our special pay while on terminal leave up to the separation date? I know special pay typically stops. I am going to guess it does for us too and is a stipulation in the contract.

Members don't see this ad.

The new HPO-IP contracts are not July-July. That is the legacy ISP system (no longer in effect). You should continue getting your monthly special pay until termination from active duty. Check your HPO-IP contract - it's item 2.h. on mine.

Well, here is the problem. Finance brief was yesterday, and technically we should continue to get everything as far as special pays and what not. At least, that was my understanding. However, "save pay", stops during terminal leave. "Save pay", has a pretty specific definition which has nothing to do with our special pay, but unfortunately this is how our pay is categorized on the LES.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, here is the problem. Finance brief was yesterday, and technically we should continue to get everything as far as special pays and what not. At least, that was my understanding. However, "save pay", stops during terminal leave. "Save pay", has a pretty specific definition which has nothing to do with our special pay, but unfortunately this is how our pay is categorized on the LES.

Hmmm. This is definitely an issue and not something I've come across yet. I'll ask locally here as it relates to Navy, but the Save Pay and IP stuff should be universal. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Yes that Save pay. 3 months after I returned from deployment I received a debt letter from DFAS saying that I owed three months Save pay. DFAS thought that Save was some kind of special pay during deployment though I was getting it before deployment! Basically DFAS don’t know what Save pay was and I was first deployed Army doctor to them. I also had other pay issues (AIP pay) during deployment which our S1 or DFAS could not support.

To OP question the unofficial word on the street is that special pay and etc don’t stop during terminal leave. If it does just be glad that you are out of Army and don’t turn back.