All Branch Topic (ABT) Special Pay restructuring in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was in a brief by the a senior individual while at the AMEDD C&S for a course recently and an O6 said they are working on changing up the special pays that physicians and attempting to streamline it and instead of having two different starts to the special pay contracts (Jul/Oct) they are going to move it to just Jul. they did mention that there is no plan to adjust the special pays for inflation. OTOH the air force was considering changing up their HPSP program so that for every 1 year of HPSP stipend a student would incur 13 months of ADSO but neither the Army or Navy wanted to go along with that.

The change in the way special pays will be administered will go into effect in 2017 from what the O6 had said.

Members don't see this ad.

They save money by having the larger special pay offset to October. Lots of people don't take their final ISP so they can exit in April/May with leave time instead of August/September. If anything, I bet they'll shift both to October, under the guise of fiscal year alignment.

Reactions: 1 users
They keep saying the Consolidated Special Pay is starting this FY but no one knows squat about the actual numbers when I ask, 4 months away.

Why not just make it easier for everyone and just have one single monthly amount you get based on your specialty / afsc that is indexed to national median incomes? I can see my OPR now, saved afpc 5 million man hours and 500 hectacres of amazonian forrest by streamlining the payment system, as well as future generations from having to deal with this crap again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ease and clarity isn't the objective.

Sufficient retention during the mid-career years and non-retention during the late-career years to avoid pension payments is the objective. This is a complicated and fuzzy pull-push objective that isn't well served by simplicity.

no plan to adjust the special pays for inflation

MASP, BCP and VSP haven't changed since at least 2002. Do other special pays (flight, dive, sea...)change with inflation?

The rationale for the number of special pays eludes me. BCP sure. It's a motivation to keep up your board cert. But beyond that? How about just a single pay structure all based on X + 20k where X is your specialty ISP and the 20K takes the place of MASP and VSP.
FM...your special pay is now 40000/yr
OB/GYN...your special pay is now 51000/yr
Then add in any BCP, flight pay, MSP, etc.

The rationale for paying these bonuses to doctors who still have a service obligation incurred by their medical training also eludes me. Perhaps because it isn't rational.

The other thing I heard regarding special pays is that they are going to essentially combine board certified pay and the July ISP. It will be paid monthly now as opposed to a bonus in July. But the rub is, you won't get it until your board certified. So for all those about to graduate residency next year or those going out into GMO land, not more $15K bonus in July for you until you are board certified. Talk about a screw job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So for all those about to graduate residency next year or those going out into GMO land, not more $15K bonus in July for you until you are board certified. Talk about a screw job

I think the specialties that have 1-2 years post graduation before you can even sit for Boards would have a big uproar if that was being proposed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As it has so eloquently been said in the past, the only power that you have in military medicine is the power to walk away at the end of your ADSO. Changes in the bonus structure as described in this thread would only increase the <10% physician retention rate but I guess this is what big army is going for (so as to pay fewer pensions). Unless, of course, another full scale war breaks out. Then they are f$&@ed. I'll have my popcorn and Lazy-boy ready when this happens, because it will happen - just a matter of time.

As it has so eloquently been said in the past, the only power that you have in military medicine is the power to walk away at the end of your ADSO. Changes in the bonus structure as described in this thread would only increase the <10% physician retention rate but I guess this is what big army is going for (so as to pay fewer pensions). Unless, of course, another full scale war breaks out. Then they are f$&@ed. I'll have my popcorn and Lazy-boy ready when this happens, because it will happen - just a matter of time.

Our pay is one of the most important things, and I'm really surprised that there is so little information out there about the upcoming changes.

I went to AMDOC this past Feb and we had a brief by Bill Marin, director of special pays at BUMED. Here's a summary of some of the changes...

NDAA of 2008 authorized the change from the current special pays (ASP, VSP, ISP, BCP, MSP) to three consolidated pays: incentive, retention, BCP. The original plan was to implement for DC/NC in FY17 (this October) and MC/MSC in FY18 (Oct 2017). However, now it looks like they will be starting THIS October, at least with our ISP, which will start being paid monthly.

Consolidated special pays:
-Incentive Pay (IP) = VSP, ASP, ISP. Incentive pay will no longer have longevity increases/decreases. Currently VSP will go up then down as BCP goes up. The new plan will have IP stay constant. Mr. Marin did not give the planned rates for IP. IP will be on a one-year contract basis. Payback concurrent with training obligation. Can take IP with RB. Paid monthly. Shows up on LES as "Saved Pay". Must be licensed, privileged, and practicing on active duty.
-Retention Bonus (RB) = MSP. The biggest change is that MSP (RB) contracts can only be signed once completing all training-related service obligations, instead of being eligible at 8 years service starting FY18 (this is a huge change). Will show up on LES as "Nuc Bonus".
-Board Certified Pay (BCP). This will increase to 6k per year for ALL, paid monthly. Will show up on LES as "Saved Pay". The goal was to incentivize board certification.

At the time of the briefing, the new consolidated pay rates were not yet set (except for BCP). He gave one example of a notional IP for FP: 43k per year regardless of years of service. If you compare this to current rates, you get 20k for ISP, 15k for ASP, and 8k for VSP. The 8k per year VSP (666.66/mo) is the 18-22 years of service rate, which is the same as the new proposed VSP rate (500/mo).

So...my analysis...if you're not board certified, you will make less with the consolidated pay plan. If you still have a very long service obligation because of ROTC or Academy before HPSP/USUSH, you will not be eligible for MSP/retention bonus pay until all your obligation is due.

Another note, I am graduating residency and just signed for my ASP. Rate is still 15k. ISP this year will be paid monthly at same rate.

PM me if you want his powerpoint presentation.

IHTFP.

Post the powerpoint. This is really important info for a lot of people.

The MSP after 8 year thing was never a good idea so that is not a bad change. It is hilarious that we can't have our own bonuses from PERS and have to use the Nuc Bonus and Saved Pay. Just shows how marginal we are. Its not like there are many more nucs than doctors.

GI docs were always grossly underpaid by the old system. Hardly made more than a general internist and way less than cards even though we make more than them in the real world. I'm betting that doesn't change.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Incentive Pay (IP) = VSP, ASP, ISP. Incentive pay will no longer have longevity increases/decreases. Currently VSP will go up then down as BCP goes up. The new plan will have IP stay constant. Mr. Marin did not give the planned rates for IP. IP will be on a one-year contract basis. Payback concurrent with training obligation. Can take IP with RB. Paid monthly. Shows up on LES as "Saved Pay". Must be licensed, privileged, and practicing on active duty.
-Retention Bonus (RB) = MSP. The biggest change is that MSP (RB) contracts can only be signed once completing all training-related service obligations, instead of being eligible at 8 years service starting FY18 (this is a huge change). Will show up on LES as "Nuc Bonus".
IHTFP.

Glad they are going to monthly, will save on the ridiculous 25% tax withholding, I think.
So is RB pay going to be disbursed monthly as well?
Is the fellowship loophole still going to be there for RB? Was planning on using it.
If we just signed ASP for this July, hows that work come October?

Is the fellowship loophole still going to be there for RB? Was planning on using it.
There's an interesting question. I'd hate to see this small perk go away. It's a retention tool that helped keep me in, and a few others I know. They'd be dumb to close it.

I am (right now) signing a 4-year MSP effective 30 June, and will start fellowship 1 July. This will be my last contract prior to retirement ... though since I took MSP two years early, I'll have a two year tail of whatever IP turns out to be at the end.

There's an interesting question. I'd hate to see this small perk go away. It's a retention tool that helped keep me in, and a few others I know. They'd be dumb to close it.

I am (right now) signing a 4-year MSP effective 30 June, and will start fellowship 1 July. This will be my last contract prior to retirement ... though since I took MSP two years early, I'll have a two year tail of whatever IP turns out to be at the end.

Things I found out from the powerpoint...
"If member has training obligation rules for each Corps/Specialty will dictate
policy of whether member is eligible while under obligation or whether
minimum creditable service is required."
-RB is lumped
-Fellowship loophole is there... concurrent with future, consecutive with past obligations
-Says you can transition to CSP somehow when implemented
-Aiming for FY18 for MC?

But this?
"Obligations for multi-year special pays are consecutive with existing education/training obligations, but concurrent with future obligations. Below are scenarios using a 4 year agreement:
Note: GI-Bill, PCS, Promotion, and non-medical education/training obligations are excluded. "

So does that mean if you do non medical training it doesn't affect ability to take RB/MSP?

This thread should be getting a lot more action I think. I'll be finishing a 4 year msp in 2017 which takes me to 17 years and so far I haven't been able to get any solid numbers on what the last 3 years of my pay will look like.

This thread should be getting a lot more action I think. I'll be finishing a 4 year msp in 2017 which takes me to 17 years and so far I haven't been able to get any solid numbers on what the last 3 years of my pay will look like.
It wasn't so long ago that the message concerning special pays was routinely released months late. It used to be "normal" to have to backdate ISP letters to October 1st, while you didn't get paid until Nov or Dec.

I would be shocked, shocked if a major overhaul of the entire system came out in time for paychecks to be cut on October 1st this year.

Between 1 October 2016 - 31 December 2017, all Corps and specialties will transfer to the new Consolidation of Special Pay (CSP) program, signified by Health Professions Officer (HPO) Board Certification Pay (HPOBCP), Incentive Pay (HPOIP), and Retention Bonus (HPORB)-- the same types of pay as the Veterinarians, PAs, Psychologist, Social Workers, and General Dentists are currently receiving.

Contracts and transactions will be processed as normal from June thru September 2016; however, preparing contracts 90-days in advance for 1 Oct 16 or later (FY17) WILL NOT be available on MODS until the system is updated with the new CSP HPO contract elements.

All Corps and Specialties will experience a delay in payment for 1 October 2016.

- above from an email

Here's what we just got:

Attached is information on contracts and transactions under the new

Consolidation of Special Pay (CSP) program.

The big picture of the new bonus structure is that MASP (Medical

Additional Special Pay) of $15,000 year/lump sum will go away. Board

Certification Pay will remain, but will likely be a single value and not

based upon years of creditable service. Variable special pay, which also

changed based upon years of creditable service, will go away. ISP with no

multiyear special pay will change to Incentive Pay (IP) and will likely be

adjusted to reflect the elimination of the MASP and VSP and adjustment of

BCP value. Multiyear ISP (MISP) + 2/3/4-MSP will change to IP + 2/3/4

retention bonus (RB). IP and BCP shall be paid monthly and RB shall be paid

annually.

Please feel free to share with your specialty.

What this says to me is that your monthly pay will drop (no VSP, BCP may go up or down depending upon what you get currently). IP will probably be a contract like ISP was, and it will likely be worth more. But it will likely require an additional ADSO commitment, like ISP. Meaning that if you haven't had the chance to renegotiate your ISP contract to July-July, and you're in your last year of service, not only will you not get the traditional ISP unless you extend to October, but your pay will be ~$1,000/mo less that year than it currently is because you will not be getting VSP.

I hope I'm wrong, but it probably is that bad. If you want to downsize, why don't you just let people walk, MEDCOM?? Is the financial rape some kind of icing?

* equally likely that the truth is that no one in MEDCOM actually understands the changes that are being made, and that no information Is 100% accurate. But what I posted came directly from our consultant, and he got it directly from the program manager.

Reactions: 1 user
So they had my whole command apply for ASP this year. I guess the communication is so poor that we didn't even get the word to the finance guys?

Also this remains the only place I've heard about this change. I have yet to get any kind of email.

Just an FYI US Code Title 37 chapter 5 outlines special pay in the military. Any changes that are going to be made will have to be reflected there. So to figure out what the changes will all be that's where we should start looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the official website of the US Code Title 37. Doesn't say what the values are but you'll have two basic pays if I'm reading this correctly

(b) Health Professions Incentive Pay.—The Secretary concerned may pay incentive pay under this section to an officer in a regular or reserve component of a uniformed service who—
(1) is entitled to basic pay under section 204 of this title or compensation under section 206 of this title; and
(2) is serving on active duty or in an active status in a designated health profession specialty or skill.

(c) Board Certification Incentive Pay.—The Secretary concerned may pay board certification incentive pay under this section to an officer in a regular or reserve component of a uniformed service who—
(1) is entitled to basic pay under section 204 of this title or compensation under section 206 of this title;
(2) is board certified in a designated health profession specialty or skill; and
(3) is serving on active duty or in an active status in such designated health profession specialty or skill.

(d) Additional Eligibility Criteria.—The Secretary concerned may impose such additional criteria for the receipt of a bonus or incentive pay under this section as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.
(e) Maximum Amount and Method of Payment.—
(1) Maximum amount.—The Secretary concerned shall determine the amounts of a bonus or incentive pay to be paid under this section, except that—
(A) a health professions bonus paid under paragraph (1) of subsection (a) may not exceed $30,000 for each 12-month period of obligated service agreed to under subsection (f);
(B) a health professions bonus paid under paragraph (2) of subsection (a) may not exceed $100,000 for each 12-month period of obligated service agreed to under subsection (f);
(C) a health professions bonus paid under paragraph (3) of subsection (a) may not exceed $75,000 for each 12-month period of obligated service agreed to under subsection (f);
(D) health professions incentive pay under subsection (b) may be paid monthly and may not exceed, in any 12-month period—
(i) $100,000 for medical officers and dental officers; and
(ii) $15,000 for officers in other health professions; and

(E) board certification incentive pay under subsection (c) may not exceed $6,000 for each 12-month period an officer remains certified in the designated health profession specialty or skill.

(2) Lump sum or installments.—A health professions bonus under subsection (a) may be paid in a lump sum or in periodic installments, as determined by the Secretary concerned. Board certification incentive pay under subsection (c) may be paid monthly, in a lump sum at the beginning of the certification period, or in periodic installments during the certification period, as determined by the Secretary concerned.
(3) Fixing bonus amount.—Upon acceptance by the Secretary concerned of the written agreement required by subsection (f), the total amount of the health professions bonus to be paid under the agreement shall be fixed.

What is concerning is the information under paragraph (1) subsection a- not to exceed $30,000, paragraph (2) may not exceed 100,000, and paragraph (3) not to exceed 75,000.

If primary care falls under paragraph 1 and there is no longer a MASP it looks like a reduction in pay.
Family practice - 20,000 + 15,000 = 35K now it might be just 30K.

I guess we wait and see what specialty falls into each paragraph...

Meaning that if you haven't had the chance to renegotiate your ISP contract to July-July, and you're in your last year of service, not only will you not get the traditional ISP unless you extend to October, but your pay will be ~$1,000/mo less that year than it currently is because you will not be getting VSP.

I hope I'm wrong, but it probably is that bad. If you want to downsize, why don't you just let people walk, MEDCOM?? Is the financial rape some kind of icing?

they took away the ability to re-align ISP to July a few years ago. back in the old days when you'd graduate fellowship it was one of the perks. but now they do not allow to renegotiate a contract while in a contract so everyone still has the jul/oct disconnect. yay. not sure why they feel the need to turn the screw that extra bit on the way out-- like you i think if they want to save money they should find people with 1-2 years left who aren't going to stay and just simply let them leave. the issue is manning is so haphazard and their planning so poor they'd then have to pay the civilian side to cover the things they really didn't know we did. it's like when people retire or ETS-- it's not a surprise to anyone, but then a month before they leave the command suddenly realizes HOLY **** WE ARE GOING TO BE SHORTSTAFFED and calamity ensues. sometimes to people's benefit. there's a contract going out soon i know of that will be paying someone almost 3x their active duty pay for the same damn job because the OIC didn't pursue it until recently. i promise if you offered this money publicly people would knock the doors down to take it. but since it was posted for 3 days over a holiday weekend no one noticed it. it truly boggles the mind the amount of waste that occurs..

anyway-- i also heard from a reputable source there is language that requires you to be doing something medical to get the bonuses. this of course is not defined (half day of clinic a month?) but this could impact the operational folks (BDE/DIV surgeons) without some kind of waiver or exception to policy memo.

-- your friendly neighborhood staying tuned caveman

So what I am getting from this thread is that sometime between now and a year from now, possibly but not definitely in exchange for an additional obligation, either some or all of us will be paid an amount of money between 0 and $100,000 per year.

they took away the ability to re-align ISP to July a few years ago. back in the old days when you'd graduate fellowship it was one of the perks. but now they do not allow to renegotiate a contract while in a contract so everyone still has the jul/oct disconnect. yay.

Maybe that's just Army?

I renegotiated my MSP/ISP last year (2015) and realigned it from October 1st to July 1st. I hadn't done a fellowship yet, though my USUHS/residency ADSO was paid off in 2014. I was led to believe that anyone who didn't owe time for initial training could realign their dates to whatever they wanted.

it's like when people retire or ETS-- it's not a surprise to anyone, but then a month before they leave the command suddenly realizes HOLY **** WE ARE GOING TO BE SHORTSTAFFED and calamity ensues. sometimes to people's benefit.

Applies to fellowships and the GMESB too. Navy didn't train ANYONE for peds or cardiac anesthesia for 3 or 4 years. Finally the drought ended, and the 2015 board had one FTOS spot for each. Now we're looking at one of the big 3 actually being gapped cardiac anesthesia for a while because people are getting out, so the 2016 board is going to have 7 (IIRC it's 2/2 and 2/1 select/preselect for cardiac and peds). Feast or famine. This'll be a good year for wannabe pediatric and cardiac anesthesiologists in the Navy.

We can talk about all this restructuring of pay. The bottom line is am I getting paid more or less money because of it. If more great lets close the gap between civillian pay and military pay. Hopefully the same but if less then......... Of note I find the militarys pay system is broken so because I have no kids or wife and work just as hard as my collegues I get paid less? Show me the money!

There are non-dismissible arguments that the (untaxed) housing allowance isn't pay, however long we've all thought of it that way.

I accept that the lazy bums at the Starship or the Flagship get a higher BAH than than we do at the Slaveship. The lower rate for being single or stationed in a less expensive area is written in black and white and we all knew it when we signed up.

I think the Senate's proposed BAH changes are stupid and if enacted will cause harm to the services far in excess of any money that's saved, but if you're honest then you have to admit their logic is sound and in keeping with the original intent of BAH.

Anyway, this is peanuts compared to the carnage that the special pay reform could abruptly inflict on all of us, mid contract.

In my time in the .mil I have come to the realization that good things happen to those that scream and whistleblow the loudest, provided you know how to scream, and to whom you should be screaming. If this pay thing results in a pay cut you will see both.....

In the 90s and earlier they had BAH that was fixed throughout the country and Variable Housing Allowance (VHA) that was, well, variable depending on where you lived. The VHA had a max and you could only get up to the amount based upon your lease or mortgage. Everyone had to go to PSD with a copy of their lease or mortgage and show what the amount was in order to get the VHA.

It was scrapped in the late 90s or early 2000s in favor of what most of us are familiar with now - a single BAH based on rank, dependents and zip code. The reason for the switch was two fold: 1) everyone, including the landlords of houses and apartments, would just rent whatever was the top of the VHA so the military rarely paid less than the max BAH and VHA. 2) It was an incredible man-hour burden on PSD to constantly have to verify and update leases/mortgages.

Fast forward to present day and the people coming up with this current idea probably don't remember that we used to have this very system and it was deemed more costly and more complex.

In my time in the .mil I have come to the realization that good things happen to those that scream and whistleblow the loudest, provided you know how to scream, and to whom you should be screaming. If this pay thing results in a pay cut you will see both.....
Screaming, sure, for all the good it would do. Doctors are a group that get little or no sympathy from anyone. Everyone thinks we're overpaid.

What whistleblowing do you mean?

In the 90s and earlier they had BAH that was fixed throughout the country and Variable Housing Allowance (VHA) that was, well, variable depending on where you lived. The VHA had a max and you could only get up to the amount based upon your lease or mortgage. Everyone had to go to PSD with a copy of their lease or mortgage and show what the amount was in order to get the VHA.

It was scrapped in the late 90s or early 2000s in favor of what most of us are familiar with now - a single BAH based on rank, dependents and zip code. The reason for the switch was two fold: 1) everyone, including the landlords of houses and apartments, would just rent whatever was the top of the VHA so the military rarely paid less than the max BAH and VHA. 2) It was an incredible man-hour burden on PSD to constantly have to verify and update leases/mortgages.

Fast forward to present day and the people coming up with this current idea probably don't remember that we used to have this very system and it was deemed more costly and more complex.
Insanity at its finest.

Screaming, sure, for all the good it would do. Doctors are a group that get little or no sympathy from anyone. Everyone thinks we're overpaid.

What whistleblowing do you mean?
If people can modify your pay IE bonuses, then you can modify your contract. We get little sympathy until we stand up and demand things. Also professionally airing your grievances without compromising patient care is the way to address some of our issues. IG complaints, ICE complaints. As far as whistleblowing, I have observed nurses and physicians alike air their grievances found or unfounded to higher ups and once unfounded have not received any professional sanctioning. Fraternization is little more then words in the dictionary. I used to believe being a military officer made you a more moral just person then 90% of americans this is no longer the case.

If people can modify your pay IE bonuses, then you can modify your contract.

Well again, playing devil's advocate, the only promise the Navy made me when I signed up was that I'd get basic pay and allowances commensurate with my rank and time in service, plus some medical bonus pay.

I have a multi-year MSP/ISP contract in effect right now with very specific wording, and whatever the Navy does with special pays this year, I'll be paid at that contracted rate until it's done. At which point I can either leave the Navy or accept the a new contract at the then-current terms.

We get little sympathy until we stand up and demand things.

I know what point you're trying to make, but when we join the military we give up a bunch of things, and one of those things is the ability to quit or strike.

We don't have any ability to demand or lobby for anything at all, beyond what senior leaders in our corps negotiate on our behalf. The military has always been and always will be the epitome of take-it-or-leave-it-when-we-let-you-leave contract negotiation.

Also professionally airing your grievances without compromising patient care is the way to address some of our issues. IG complaints, ICE complaints. As far as whistleblowing, I have observed nurses and physicians alike air their grievances found or unfounded to higher ups and once unfounded have not received any professional sanctioning. Fraternization is little more then words in the dictionary. I used to believe being a military officer made you a more moral just person then 90% of americans this is no longer the case.

It was probably never the case, the way the nuclear family in Leave It To Beaver was never the average 1950s suburban reality.

There's some accountability in the military, which I think is more than there is in the civilian world.

Regardless of the way people around you behave, being a decent human being is its own reward, and worth it. Don't let the Man get you down. :)

It is always a one-way street. This isn't a democracy it's an authoritarian regime. Because it's a military. We get used to the idea that someone is looking out for our interests because usually no one is actively screwing with them, but they can and they will if it's in the best interests of the military. That's not even a criticism. It sucks, but it's not a criticism. As I've said before, I'll say again: the only piece of advice an old line officer gave me as a lowly HPSP med student was "Always remember that Big Green doesn't care about you, your family, or your career." It's been so long that that's more of a paraphrase than a quote, but it's pretty close.

However, it is an important thing to keep in mind when you're thinking about joining. They are not obligated to do anything they say they're going to do - even contracts. They might be more likely to follow through with a contract, but I promise you that once it is easier to break contract than it is to keep it - they'll ignore the fine print. It makes sense in a war. It just feels like being screwed at peace time. But it has never been a leave it to Beaver episode. I think that's a bit naïve. I also think there's less accountability in the military. There's not much on the civilian side, but we do have law and litigation to keep the worst offenders in line. The Army has no recourse for a lack of accountability.

So according to this new plan, the lowly GMOs with only an internship under their belt will lose the 15K bonus?
For those interns who are graduating on June 30 and going out to GMO land, you can still sign up for ASP. Do it as soon as you can. Hopefully, interns, GMOs, and residents qualify for Incentive Pay. I'm not holding my breath, though.

For those interns who are graduating on June 30 and going out to GMO land, you can still sign up for ASP. Do it as soon as you can. Hopefully, interns, GMOs, and residents qualify for Incentive Pay. I'm not holding my breath, though.
I'm looking to sign my contract ASAP. Hopefully before any bad things happen.

Navy info below:

I recently saw an email circulated from someone who was at a presentation by the special pays people. They said to take everything below as possible, but very unlikely to change:

Board certified pay: will be a flat rate of 6K per year paid monthly. No increase/decrease and although it will be paid together with another special pay called Incentive Pay they are not linked. (In other words you do not have to be board certified to get the old ASP/ISP. So GMOs will still get the 15K)

The new "Incentive Pay" is essentially your ASP + ISP + a few more thousand. Will be paid monthly.

The Retention Bonus will be for those who sign multi year and takes over for MSP. If your community has a higher ISP for those with multi year that ISP will get paid within the new IP. This will be a lump sum.

For those who have current multi year bonuses you will essentially be forced to convert the next time you want an ASP because there will no longer be an ASP and you cannot be paid under the old and new systems at the same time. So, yes technically you could keep your current contract but you will have to forgo 15K a year to do that. (What I saw did not say how they plan to make that work: eg could you cancel your multi year if wanted?)

If you have a CAC I think there is a brief on the Navy Medical Corps milSuite site.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

well, that would be brilliant and better than the bonus structure. But as with the information I got earlier, we shall see how the hammer drops