Special Pays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sethco

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just have a quick question for any body that might know. I just finished my medical internship year (civilian) and I will be starting the AMP course in July. I was wondering, since I have no board certified specialty or previous medical experience, what special pays am I eligible for?

Members don't see this ad.

sethco said:
Hi all,

Just have a quick question for any body that might know. I just finished my medical internship year (civilian) and I will be starting the AMP course in July. I was wondering, since I have no board certified specialty or previous medical experience, what special pays am I eligible for?

What is the AMP course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, in that case you get the $15K Additional Special pay (usually get that in July) and Variable special pay which is $416.66 every month.

Don't you already have to be in the military practicing as a Flight surgeon for one year before you are eligible for these pays?

NavyFP said:
Oh, in that case you get the $15K Additional Special pay (usually get that in July) and Variable special pay which is $416.66 every month.

sethco said:
Don't you already have to be in the military practicing as a Flight surgeon for one year before you are eligible for these pays?

VSP is paid at the rate of $5K per year to any physician not in internship. You even get it as a resident.

You should be eligible for ASP, Navy does not count flight surgery school as "training" for those purposes.

1. Every military doc not in first residency gets ASP! ($15,000.00)
2. Every mil doc gets VSP! (by how many years you have, $ 416 sounds right) You will also get flight pay (if you fly) < $200.00 per month as I remember.
3. As an added benefit if you do fighters you will get a call sign. If you go overseas its more fun. Stateside has alot of nonflying "flight surgeon" spots in the USAF. Beware space command.

PS: you get ASP this year for the next year your in.