Special Pays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpatel1080

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently in a civilian anesthesiology residency and will be going onto navy AD July 09. I had read an earlier thread about negotiting the ISP date to 1 July rather than 1 oct to avoid 3 months of extra commitment my last year of AD. I was wondering if anyone has done this and exactly how it is accomplished...thanks.

Also, I was surfing around on the internet and I found that the annual ISP rates are going up for 2008...has anyone else heard about this?

http://dcp.psc.gov/eccis/documents/PPM08_014.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I am currently in a civilian anesthesiology residency and will be going onto navy AD July 09. I had read an earlier thread about negotiting the ISP date to 1 July rather than 1 oct to avoid 3 months of extra commitment my last year of AD. I was wondering if anyone has done this and exactly how it is accomplished...thanks.

Also, I was surfing around on the internet and I found that the annual ISP rates are going up for 2008...has anyone else heard about this?

http://dcp.psc.gov/eccis/documents/PPM08_014.pdf
the link attached applies to the USPHS, not the military. I'm a bit unhappy now to know that a doc in my speciality gets an ISP 16K more than mine. Yipee.

I negotiated my ISP to 1 July and did it after completing fellowship by contacting the Medical Special Pays coordinator at AFPC in Randoph AFB. I'm not sure who the contact would be for Navy, but my understanding is that the ISP date can only be renegotiated after completing a second residency or fellowship when the bonus amount would change. Otherwise every single person would switch their ISP date to July and avoid that last little kick in the a$$ their final year.

I know a lot of people who actually forego the entire ISP (in some cases over $30,000) their final year rather than serve the extra three months. I suppose its mainly because of potential deployments, potential stop-loss, or overall disgust with the military, but depending on the specialty, you might be able to make up that $30,000 with three months of private practice.

And as an aside, this business of paying ISP in October so people get screwed in their last year of committment is one of those irritating little hidden catches to military medicine that leave a lot of people pissed off. It's another of many obvious problems that never get fixed due to bureaucratic inertia.