• Scariest Story Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

Specialists in trigeminal neuralgias?neuropathic pain?

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
893
1
    I was wondering if anyone in this forum has subspecialized in trigeminal neuralgias or neuropathic pain research.

    I am very interested in pain research primarily from a clinical perspective as I am a dentist and secondarily because of the many pain research projects I have been involved with over the years. Although I don't work in the research milieu any longer, I am fascinated by pain research for my own intellectual curiousity.

    As a graduate student, I had the opportunity to work on a pilot study involving "chronic constriction injuries" (CCI) of the sciatic nerves in rats , which is an internationally recognized neuropathic pain model developed by the professor I was working with. The landmark study on CCI is the following: Bennett, G.J. and Xie, Y.-K.: "A peripheral mononeuropathy in rat that produces disorders of pain sensation like those seen in man". Pain 33: 87-107, 1988

    http://www.hosppract.com/issues/1998/10/bennett.htm

    I also had the chance to work on some neuro based research with another professor which was related to the trigeminal thalamo-cortical somatosensory pathway and tried to relate it to the infamous studies done by Pons et al. , "Massive Cortical Reorganization After Sensory Deafferentation in Adult Macaques". Science, Vol. 252, 1991, pp. 1857-1860a. This landmark study hinted at possible neuroplasticity occuring in macaque monkeys that had sustained some deafferentation of many cervical nerves and exhibited neuropathic pain not unlike "phantom limb pain".

    http://apu.sfn.org/content/Membership1/MemberObituaries/ObituariesArchive/pons.htm

    Anyone on this forum involved with research pertaining to pain conditions restricted to the head & neck region?

    Comments?
     

    Doctodd

    Full Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jul 4, 2005
    5,845
    1,260
    Miami, FL
      I am not personally involved with this type of research, but i can point you to someone in academics who i heard at a review course speaking about the topics you mentioned. You can look their emails up pretty easily.

      Robert M. Levy is a neurosurgeon. Kenneth Candido is a pain/anesthesiology specialist.

      T
       
      About the Ads

      Smilemaker100

      Membership Revoked
      Removed
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 25, 2004
      893
      1
        Doctodd said:
        I am not personally involved with this type of research, but i can point you to someone in academics who i heard at a review course speaking about the topics you mentioned. You can look their emails up pretty easily.

        Robert M. Levy is a neurosurgeon. Kenneth Candido is a pain/anesthesiology specialist.

        T

        Thanks, T. I briefly read Dr Levy's abstracts on the experimental pharmacological interventions of neuropathic pain syndromes. I was fascinated by his research on neurotropic HIV-1 strains as I majored in micro as an undergrad and have always held a fascination on the pathological effects of HIV as well as it's genetic mutations.

        Where did you attend review courses on pain research ?
         

        Doctodd

        Full Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 4, 2005
        5,845
        1,260
        Miami, FL
          I met both of them at the Dannemiller review course in Chicago in August. But I was one of hundreds of people at the course, so i wouldnt expect them to know who i am. Since they both work in Chicago, it was easy for them to participate. Both seemed easily approachable as well.

          T
           

          Smilemaker100

          Membership Revoked
          Removed
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 25, 2004
          893
          1
            Doctodd said:
            I met both of them at the Dannemiller review course in Chicago in August. But I was one of hundreds of people at the course, so i wouldnt expect them to know who i am. Since they both work in Chicago, it was easy for them to participate. Both seemed easily approachable as well.

            T

            Is the Dannemiller review course for anesthesiologists only ( I googled it) or other health professionals as well? I am interested in pain research and management. Thanks.
             

            OzDDS

            Senior Member
            7+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 24, 2003
            803
            8
            Melbourne
              Smilemaker100 said:
              I am interested in pain research and management. Thanks.

              Are you more interested in the clinical aspects or doing research? Have you considered doing a dental anesthesiology residency, then maybe a pain management fellowship? Or do you want to pursue a MSc or PhD in pain manangement or neuroscience?
               

              Smilemaker100

              Membership Revoked
              Removed
              10+ Year Member
              15+ Year Member
              Feb 25, 2004
              893
              1
                OzDDS said:
                Are you more interested in the clinical aspects or doing research? Have you considered doing a dental anesthesiology residency, then maybe a pain management fellowship? Or do you want to pursue a MSc or PhD in pain manangement or neuroscience?

                At the moment, I am content with clinical work and taking CE courses in pain management. I already hold an M.Sc in which I did some neuro work. I don't see myself pursuing any more degrees at the moment :rolleyes: :laugh:
                But who knows? Maybe at a future point in time I may specialize in something. I have other priorities right now...
                 

                analgesic

                Member
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Oct 15, 2005
                62
                0
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Smilemaker100 said:
                  I was wondering if anyone in this forum has subspecialized in trigeminal neuralgias or neuropathic pain research.

                  I am very interested in pain research primarily from a clinical perspective as I am a dentist and secondarily because of the many pain research projects I have been involved with over the years. Although I don't work in the research milieu any longer, I am fascinated by pain research for my own intellectual curiousity.

                  As a graduate student, I had the opportunity to work on a pilot study involving "chronic constriction injuries" (CCI) of the sciatic nerves in rats , which is an internationally recognized neuropathic pain model developed by the professor I was working with. The landmark study on CCI is the following: Bennett, G.J. and Xie, Y.-K.: "A peripheral mononeuropathy in rat that produces disorders of pain sensation like those seen in man". Pain 33: 87-107, 1988

                  http://www.hosppract.com/issues/1998/10/bennett.htm

                  I also had the chance to work on some neuro based research with another professor which was related to the trigeminal thalamo-cortical somatosensory pathway and tried to relate it to the infamous studies done by Pons et al. , "Massive Cortical Reorganization After Sensory Deafferentation in Adult Macaques". Science, Vol. 252, 1991, pp. 1857-1860a. This landmark study hinted at possible neuroplasticity occuring in macaque monkeys that had sustained some deafferentation of many cervical nerves and exhibited neuropathic pain not unlike "phantom limb pain".

                  http://apu.sfn.org/content/Membership1/MemberObituaries/ObituariesArchive/pons.htm

                  Anyone on this forum involved with research pertaining to pain conditions restricted to the head & neck region?

                  Comments?


                  Smile maker,

                  A while back I attended a pain conference in California. A chiropractic neurologist there referenced this very study you are mentioning. He stated that individuals with centrally mediated trigeminal pain suffer from cervical large diameter deafferentation. He noted that by reestablishing normal joint mechanics in the c-spine that he was able to resolve trigeminal neuropathic pain. Of course he could only reference this study and had no real randomized clinical trials to support this claim. Likewise all his experience was self limited. However, I do find it interesting that dorsal column fibers from the upper c-spine do fire to the same vpm nucleus in the thalamus that may have modulation on pain perception. I hope this helps. :D
                   

                  Smilemaker100

                  Membership Revoked
                  Removed
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Feb 25, 2004
                  893
                  1
                    analgesic said:
                    Smile maker,

                    A while back I attended a pain conference in California. A chiropractic neurologist there referenced this very study you are mentioning. He stated that individuals with centrally mediated trigeminal pain suffer from cervical large diameter deafferentation. He noted that by reestablishing normal joint mechanics in the c-spine that he was able to resolve trigeminal neuropathic pain. Of course he could only reference this study and had no real randomized clinical trials to support this claim. Likewise all his experience was self limited. However, I do find it interesting that dorsal column fibers from the upper c-spine do fire to the same vpm nucleus in the thalamus that may have modulation on pain perception. I hope this helps. :D

                    Thanks, for sharing the info on that conference. :) Do you know the name of this chiropractic neurologist?

                    Yes, I have heard of the theory of dorsal column fibers from the upper C-spine firing to the VPM nucleus which may have modulation on pain perception. Some evidence strongly suggests that C2 and V3 (mandibular nerve) have a close relationship in the thalamus but I am not entirely sure if there is very solid evidence of C2 being represented in the VPM nucleus yet. A part of my M.Sc thesis actually discussed this.

                    A few older studies have shown that there is overlapping C2 and V3 at the level of the subnucleus caudalis in the spinal tract of nerve V which relays pain information to higher stations in the somatosensory pathway.

                    Denny -Brown,D. and N.Yanagisawa (1973) The function of the descending root of the fifth nerve. Brain, 96:783-814.

                    Sherrington, C.S (1979) On the distribution of the sensory nerve roots. In :Selective writings of Sir Charles Sherrington (Denny-Brown,D.ed)pp31-93. London:Oxford University Press.

                    Here is a recent abstract on cervical and trigeminal convergence! I got to get my hands on this article!

                    "Clinically, trigeminal activation produces symptoms in the trigeminal and cervical territory and cervical activation produces symptoms in the cervical and trigeminal territory."

                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12946291&query_hl=4

                    and more...
                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12946290&query_hl=4
                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11422092&query_hl=4
                     

                    analgesic

                    Member
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Oct 15, 2005
                    62
                    0
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      Smilemaker100 said:
                      Thanks, for sharing the info on that conference. :) Do you know the name of this chiropractic neurologist?

                      Yes, I have heard of the theory of dorsal column fibers from the upper C-spine firing to the VPM nucleus which may have modulation on pain perception. Some evidence strongly suggests that C2 and V3 (mandibular nerve) have a close relationship in the thalamus but I am not entirely sure if there is very solid evidence of C2 being represented in the VPM nucleus yet. A part of my M.Sc thesis actually discussed this.

                      A few older studies have shown that there is overlapping C2 and V3 at the level of the subnucleus caudalis in the spinal tract of nerve V which relays pain information to higher stations in the somatosensory pathway.

                      Denny -Brown,D. and N.Yanagisawa (1973) The function of the descending root of the fifth nerve. Brain, 96:783-814.

                      Sherrington, C.S (1979) On the distribution of the sensory nerve roots. In :Selective writings of Sir Charles Sherrington (Denny-Brown,D.ed)pp31-93. London:Oxford University Press.

                      Here is a recent abstract on cervical and trigeminal convergence! I got to get my hands on this article!

                      "Clinically, trigeminal activation produces symptoms in the trigeminal and cervical territory and cervical activation produces symptoms in the cervical and trigeminal territory."

                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12946291&query_hl=4

                      and more...
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12946290&query_hl=4
                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11422092&query_hl=4


                      Smile maker,

                      I believe the physician's name was Dr. Helmi. I know he is currently doing a PM&R residency at Case Western University. You might try calling the department there (216)778-7800. I hope this helps!!!!
                       

                      Smilemaker100

                      Membership Revoked
                      Removed
                      10+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Feb 25, 2004
                      893
                      1
                        analgesic said:
                        Smile maker,

                        I believe the physician's name was Dr. Helmi. I know he is currently doing a PM&R residency at Case Western University. You might try calling the department there (216)778-7800. I hope this helps!!!!

                        Thanks,analgesic. I wasn't thinking of personally contacting him ! :laugh: I was interested in reading any articles he may have written on his work.
                         

                        Doctodd

                        Full Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Jul 4, 2005
                        5,845
                        1,260
                        Miami, FL
                          Regarding the Dannemiller course, it is very very fast paced and concentrated. It might be a waste if you dont already have a good foundation in pain.

                          The ABPM has a review course in San Diego in February, and the ASRA has review course throughout the year that are more of a conference format. These may be another option to consider.

                          T
                           
                          About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 15 years old.

                          Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                          1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.