Specialities where 30-40 hours is possible, happy with 80-120K per year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

testversion305

Chiquito
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm a third year medical student, I've got the grades and letters to be competitive in the fields I am interested in (Derm, Peds and Ortho) but I'm feeling pretty burnt out

I have a lot of hobbies I would like to pursue, I don't really care about salary but don't want to work more then 40hours per week after residency

My ideal job would be 30hrs/week with a salary of at least 80K
I prefer treatable conditions and do prefer some patient contact in my life

I do like helping people but I want time to grow as a person outside of medicine and be there for my family when I'm at that stage

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Almost all fields have something where you can work 30 hrs a week for 80K+ so I suggest you do the whatever you can finish the quickest. Emergency Medicine, Hospitalist, or Family Medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
I know two physicians who work part time, one is EM and one is IM hospitalist.

Psych isn't strictly part time but the hours are really chill.

I'm guessing you could pull it off in anesthesia too, but I'm not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Outpatient IM at a VA...super chill and no weekends. Plus, you get all federal holidays off.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're fine with barely clearing 6 figures, which you can do in any field part time (even peds), the question becomes what fields offer the best lifestyle.

Stick to outpatient areas. Psych, FM, IM, PM&R, etc can all have 40 hr/wk schedules. IMO best opportunities are psych or PM&R or opening a derm clinic and only working 3-4 days/wk. Part-time EM would also pull in 100k easily with plenty of downtime, you'd likely have to work the shifts no one else wants to though.

The bigger issue is either finding someone to hire you part time (it's logistically cheaper for a place to hire one person at 40hrs/wk than 2 at 20/wk) or establishing your own practice. You could also try working odd hours/shifts or locums. There are plenty of options for those who get creative and learn how to work the system. However, many docs don't want to learn that stuff and just want to do their work, get paid, and not be bothered with aspects outside of patient care.

Last edited:
If you’re competitive for derm, then do derm

Reactions: 13 users
Aren’t there plenty of private clinics you can work at that are only open 8/9am-5pm everyday

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First I would focus on the field that you would actually enjoy working in as opposed to which one could just give you 30-40hrs/week.

I’m hearing more and more about creative schedules from folks looking for a better work/life balance. At a recent conference there was an interventional cardiologist who described her journey into becoming a part time cardiologist working essentially 3 days a week. And the position wasn’t advertised as part-time, she had to ask. She also described another phenomenon called job-sharing where two people may split a single fulltime position. So it’s possible even in fields you might not have thought it feasible in.

Reactions: 3 users
You can always work at an urgent care center (post EM/FM/IM residency). Not necessarily the most rewarding work-- but you could essentially make your own schedule and be making >150k

In my experience:
- private pain management practice - group I shadowed expected <20 hrs/week from physicians
- VA - if you're OK with just outpatient diabetes meds/social services management, the VA physicians I worked with saw patients for like 15-20 hours a week. Doubt they made much, though.

Hey all

I'm a third year medical student, I've got the grades and letters to be competitive in the fields I am interested in (Derm, Peds and Ortho) but I'm feeling pretty burnt out

I have a lot of hobbies I would like to pursue, I don't really care about salary but don't want to work more then 40hours per week after residency

I do like helping people but I want time to grow as a person outside of medicine and be there for my family when I'm at that stage

Thanks!!
By default, the doctors who work the fewest hours/week full time are probably EM (default to working something like 120-150 hours/month at most). They have a screwy schedule with lots of nights/weekends/holidays though. That said, almost any other specialty can easily work part time once they're done with training and they'll all make >$100k

Primary care? Work a 3 day/week part time job and you'll make in the low 100s pretty easily.
Derm? The average dermatologist works <40 hr weeks and makes ridiculous money
Endocrine? My full time job that I've signed for is 36 hours of direct patient care weekly
Anesthesia? Tons and tons of "mommy track" jobs with limited hours each week.
Psychiatrist in private practice (as the majority of psychiatrists are)? They have total control over their own schedule and can make >$200k part time.
PMR is probably that few hours in general.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

All of the various types of surgeons will have more difficulty working part time because they have to balance clinic, operating, and postoperative care. Plus, the personality that makes it through a surgical residency is not the type that typically works part time. But really, anything else will work. Just have to survive residency.

To survive residency, the only field with a relatively low hour intern year is pathology or an advanced field like derm/ophtho/rad onc that you can get a cush TY. Every other field will require you to do IM/Surgery/Peds as an intern year. The PGY2+ years are often relatively cush for some fields (derm...) but a huge pain for most others.

goddamn millennials don't wanna work!!!

just kidding, literally all i ever ****ing want to do is sleep.

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By default, the doctors who work the fewest hours/week full time are probably EM (default to working something like 120-150 hours/month at most). They have a screwy schedule with lots of nights/weekends/holidays though. That said, almost any other specialty can easily work part time once they're done with training and they'll all make >$100k

Primary care? Work a 3 day/week part time job and you'll make in the low 100s pretty easily.
Derm? The average dermatologist works <40 hr weeks and makes ridiculous money
Endocrine? My full time job that I've signed for is 36 hours of direct patient care weekly
Anesthesia? Tons and tons of "mommy track" jobs with limited hours each week.
Psychiatrist in private practice (as the majority of psychiatrists are)? They have total control over their own schedule and can make >$200k part time.
PMR is probably that few hours in general.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

All of the various types of surgeons will have more difficulty working part time because they have to balance clinic, operating, and postoperative care. Plus, the personality that makes it through a surgical residency is not the type that typically works part time. But really, anything else will work. Just have to survive residency.

To survive residency, the only field with a relatively low hour intern year is pathology or an advanced field like derm/ophtho/rad onc that you can get a cush TY. Every other field will require you to do IM/Surgery/Peds as an intern year. The PGY2+ years are often relatively cush for some fields (derm...) but a huge pain for most others.
You can actually do surgery locums and make massive bank with low clinic burden etc. One of my surgeons who is old as hell and trained like 1,000 years ago went into retirement, got bored, did locums, got bored because it was too easy, then came back to work full time. You’re right though. Most surgeons won’t like that lifestyle because they work til they drop.

First 6-9 months at a lot of programs is IM and neuro though.

Nope, ACGME requirements only state that at least 4 months of intern year must include "comprehensive clinical care" aka IM and neuro, and they only require a total of 2 months worth of neuro throughout the entire residency. Most programs I interviewed at had 2 months of neuro and 2-3 months of IM during intern year and 6+ months of psych (usually 8: 6 inpt psych, 1 Emergency psych, 1 C&L). Maybe the norm is more IM rotations, but nowhere I interviewed had more than 5 months of non-psych rotations during intern year (which was uniformly the most non-psych rotations of any year of residency).

Most of my partners work <40hr/wk (EM). I'm one of our highest hour people and I only average 45hr/wk. Granted you have to be ok working some weekends, holidays and nights.

Reactions: 4 users
nearly every specialty (outside of anyone that involves a scalpel) would be possible to work part time in

ACEP reported national average salary for EM to be $200/hr with variations from $150-$280 based on state and over-nights. My mentor is near retirement and works 3-12 hour shifts a week with one on-call every other week and makes $250K+.

You can get into EM through board cert in Primary Care as well.

You can get into EM through board cert in Primary Care as well.
Please tell me more as I'd be interested! I thought this was changing and less and less places allowing FM/IM to work in the ED (unless they're far enough away that it's really hard for them to find a board cert emergency physician, and who knows about the future maybe this will close too and everyone will want board cert EM)?

You are frickin' crazy.

If you really have the board score to go into uber-competitive specialties... why the EFF don't you?

They are COMPETITIVE FOR A REA$$$$$$$$$ON.

You're doing yourself a huge disservice by feeling burnt out right now and making a stupid decision based off temporary feelings.

Go take a week vacation with your flex time if you have any and then come back and see how stupid you sound and carry on to a ballin' $pecialty.

Ridiculous.

I should slap you silly.

Reactions: 9 users
Nope, ACGME requirements only state that at least 4 months of intern year must include "comprehensive clinical care" aka IM and neuro, and they only require a total of 2 months worth of neuro throughout the entire residency. Most programs I interviewed at had 2 months of neuro and 2-3 months of IM during intern year and 6+ months of psych (usually 8: 6 inpt psych, 1 Emergency psych, 1 C&L). Maybe the norm is more IM rotations, but nowhere I interviewed had more than 5 months of non-psych rotations during intern year (which was uniformly the most non-psych rotations of any year of residency).

Totally depends on your program how much medicine and neuro you do. By the end of this year, my intern year will have involved 5 months of medicine (including ICU and night blocks) and about 3 months of neurology. I do think this program is definitely on the heavier end of the spectrum as far as psych programs go and I don’t know of many programs with 9 months of off-service rotations.

I thought this was changing and less and less places allowing FM/IM to work in the ED (unless they're far enough away that it's really hard for them to find a board cert emergency physician,

You are correct. Safest and most secure way to work in an ED is to be EM trained.

Reactions: 6 users
You are frickin' crazy.

If you really have the board score to go into uber-competitive specialties... why the EFF don't you?

You're doing yourself a huge disservice by feeling burnt out right now and making a stupid decision based off temporary feelings.

Go take a week vacation with your flex time if you have any and then come back and see how stupid you sound and carry on to a ballin' $pecialty.

Ridiculous.

I should slap you silly.
Is it actually unfathomable to you that someone doesn't care much about making a lot of money

Is it actually unfathomable to you that someone doesn't care much about making a lot of money

Hey MOTHER TERESA, is it UNFATHOMABLE to you that OP can MAKE MORE and WORK LESS and has a board score to frickin' do so (or so he claims to)?

Common sense (it's okay sweetheart... I know many med students like yourself don't know what this is or lack this... not your fault.. it's ok) will tell you that making $350,000 for 40 hours a week is WAY BETTER than $350K for 72 hours a week.

I don't care WHO you are.

OP has the chance to enter specialties that afford the former rather than the latter. He'd be an idiot not to pursue those chances!

It's people with YOUR type of mentality that are screwing over medicine and are the reason why it is SO EASY to get screwed over by employers who low ball you for your services.

If a hospital is giving you $250,000.... how much do you think that THEY make off of YOU?

Why the hell are WE giving up 10+ years of our lives and going neck deep into debt when some fratboy d-bag in a suit with a masters degree can make 6 figures and sign our checks at the end of the day without the time, money, and legal investment WE have made?

Idk when millenials (I AM ONE for godsake) will get it through their heads that ALTRUISM DOES NOT PAY. IT IS NOT PROFITABLE. IT IS RIPE FOR EXPLOITATION and that is why doctors are being shafted every which way possible.

You will have bills one day.

I've never heard about anybody complain that they made TOO MUCH money.... only that they didn't make enough.

Go do street medicine or move to Canada or Australia if you don't care about the $$$ and want the time to dilly dally around and are "fine" with a nurse's salary.

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Hey MOTHER TERESA, is it UNFATHOMABLE to you that OP can MAKE MORE and WORK LESS and has a board score to frickin' do so (or so he claims to)?

Common sense (it's okay sweetheart... I know many med students like yourself don't know what this is or lack this... not your fault.. it's ok) will tell you that making $350,000 for 40 hours a week is WAY BETTER than $350K for 72 hours a week.

OP has the chance to enter specialties that afford the former rather than the latter. He'd be an idiot not to pursue those chances!

It's people with YOUR type of mentality that are screwing over medicine and are the reason why it is SO EASY to get screwed over by employers who low ball you for your services.

If a hospital is giving you $250,000.... how much do you think that THEY make off of YOU?

Why the hell are WE giving up 10+ years of our lives and going neck deep into debt when some fratboy d-bag in a suit with a masters degree can make 6 figures and sign our checks at the end of the day without the time, money, and legal investment WE have made?

Idk when millenials (I AM ONE for godsake) will get it through their heads that ALTRUISM DOES NOT PAY. IT IS NOT PROFITABLE. IT IS RIPE FOR EXPLOITATION and that is why doctors are being shafted every which way possible.

I've never heard about anybody complain that they made TOO MUCH money.... only that they didn't make enough.

Go do street medicine or move to Canada or Australia if you don't care about the $$$ and want the time to dilly dally around and are "fine" with a nurse's salary.

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.

Just a heads up average canadian FM doc makes 250-270k, average physician overall 350k. I do not believe this is adjusted for conversion though, after conversion this becomes about equivalent to US pay

Just a heads up average canadian FM doc makes 250-270k, average physician overall 350k. I do not believe this is adjusted for conversion though, after conversion this becomes about equivalent to US pay

Right.

But with a 50% tax off the bat?

The girl I got a huge crush on is a FM doc in Canada.

Her cute self says that on a relative basis... the FM docs in US make a lot more but that those on her side of the border have MUCH less headache with insurance.

IF OP wants to do 40 hours, and make bare minimum, go over to Canada. You can do well over there.

The ONE thing our Hot Cheetoh president got right was the tax rates for sure.

Repubs all about that dough mane.

IF OP wants to do 40 hours, and make bare minimum, go over to Canada. You can do well over there.
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to go to Canada after doing a US residency, but without Canadian citizenship? I mean does Canada recognize US training? I always liked Canadians. :)

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to go to Canada after doing a US residency, but without Canadian citizenship? I mean does Canada recognize US training? I always liked Canadians. :)

I'm actually trying to figure that out currently but I believe that you need to pass a separate licensing exam and be proficient and able to speak in French. Also have to probably be a Canadian citizen as well.

But I hope somebody else that is knowledgable about the process can chime in!

Right.

But with a 50% tax off the bat?

The girl I got a huge crush on is a FM doc in Canada.

Her cute self says that on a relative basis... the FM docs in US make a lot more but that those on her side of the border have MUCH less headache with insurance.

The ONE thing our Hot Cheetoh president got right was the tax rates for sure.

Repubs all about that dough mane.
Yeah depending on the province/territory you can pay around 39-50%(marginal tax rate) and 32-42%(average tax rate) if you're making 250k. This ends up being about a 10-25k in disposable income difference at 250k, i wouldnt consider this to be that drastic.

I've heard complaints from both sides of the border, from what i can see burnout rates are similar (45-55% depending on specialty). I can't find any good comparative studies on stress levels in each country as physicians but found anecdotes from both sides looking for greener pastures due to being stressed out by insurance billing (example from US doc This U.S. doctor is moving to Canada. Find out why. , not arguing one or the other is more right or even to the quality of the article just that no matter where you are it seems insurance billing will piss you off. Guess that's why you gotta do derm cash only business duh).

I wouldnt call it bare minimum, but yeah if youre trying to get the absolute most bang for your buck the US will be your best bet.

Yes ACGME residencies are considered equivalent and acceptable i believe, you have to speak french if you wish to practice in Quebec. Don't need to be a citizen, but from what I've heard getting dual citizenship isn't too hard especially as a physician (something like live there for 3 years, either pay your US or canadian taxes (not both as theres an agreement between us and ca in regards to this, but i believe it depends on where you spend 6+months out of the year or pay whichever is higher not really sure on this)). If you want to practice a specialty such as anesthesiology you need a 5th yr of training (for all "specialties" non primary care).

How does medmal work in Canada? I imagine between malpractice insurance, lower costs related to collecting insurance and family medical insurance, Canada would be okay financially.

How does medmal work in Canada? I imagine between malpractice insurance, lower costs related to collecting insurance and family medical insurance, Canada would be okay financially.

https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/static-assets/pdf/membership/fees-and-payment/2016cal-e.pdf

How Much Does Medical Malpractice Insurance Cost?

Just did a quick glance at the numbers but it seems substantially cheaper

(Just for clarification im not canadian, just had an interest in the subject. Could very easily be wrong on some of what I’ve said so far)

You are frickin' crazy.

Ridiculous.

I should slap you silly.

Going for a specialty purely for money is ridiculous to me. Million a year still wouldn't get me to pursue ortho

Reactions: 6 users
Hey all

Thanks!!

80k a year? I hope you're not serious.

I'd rather work 70 hours a week, make $250k, and love what I do than work 40 hours a week, make $350k, and hate my job.

Altruism isn't screwing over medicine. Lazy and complacent individuals who don't care about understanding anything about business and are willing to take massive paycuts because they want literally no administrative duties are screwing everyone else over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I'd rather work 70 hours a week, make $250k, and love what I do than work 40 hours a week, make $350k, and hate my job.

Altruism isn't screwing over medicine. Lazy and complacent individuals who don't care about understanding anything about business and are willing to take massive paycuts because they want to do literally no administrative duties are screwing everyone else over.
We have TOO MANY administrators
That is what is ruining medicine. Simplify the administrative side so doctors can do their job.

We have TOO MANY administrators
That is what is ruining medicine. Simplify the administrative side so doctors can do their job.

I don't disagree. However, that requires physicians to actually fully understand how the financial and administrative side of medicine works, which many do not.

Y'all should have gone into dentistry. They legit work 3/per week and pull in 250K no sweat. Plus, insurance isnt as nasty and midlevels arnt trying to take over their profession

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure why so many in here are claiming surgeons can't work part time. I am currently doing it. Sure you still have to put in your time during residency and you have to look for the right situation for it to work, but it can be done. For me it is more about how things average out as I like to be able to be gone for days to weeks at a time so some weeks are rougher when I squeeze all my call in to part of the month, but there are other options out there if you want more consistency. It is funny because I had that same 80k goal salary in mind when I was deciding what kind of job to look for (I picked my specialty because I couldn't see myself doing anything no surgical rather than because of work hours or salary though which helps during those busy weeks because I am enjoying what I do) after residency, but I make a ton more than that which is cool because it puts me that much closer to financial independence. I would bet that there are ways to have a nice work schedule in any specialty after training so just pick what you like to do.

Going for a specialty purely for money is ridiculous to me. Million a year still wouldn't get me to pursue ortho

That's fair.

Last edited:
OP.

I think you are selling yourself short.

HONESTLY...

PA programs are VERY tempting to folks like OP.

The clinic that I am rotating at has PA salary for a $125,000 contract for 40 hours a week with the POTENTIAL to go up to $180,000 if they desire.

THAT.

IS.

RIDICULOUS.

OP... sucks you realized this so late, but you shouldn't have done med school lolz

Y'all should have gone into dentistry. They legit work 3/per week and pull in 250K no sweat. Plus, insurance isnt as nasty and midlevels arnt trying to take over their profession
Caveat is cost of schools, but yea I can see a lot of people in medical school who are going for lifestyle/income being perfectly happy in dentistry. There are a chunk of medical students that care about the knowledge, MD, and cutting edge research + saving lives, but the graph relating step score and income I saw around these parts as well as the ROADS specialties and increasing popularity of psych/EM due to hours makes it pretty obvious that likely a majority of people care about $$$ and lifestyle. Don't want to be derailing this thread, but for an OP who wants 30-40 hours happy with 180k+ a year, dentistry is an easier route + no residency.

Hey all

Thanks!!

If you're competitive for all specialties, you gun for the highest competitive specialty in order to work the least hrs in order to hit whatever financial goal you have in mind. So, the answer to your question is that you shoot for Derm so that you could work 10 hrs/wk and make about 100K a year.

Reactions: 5 users

Medicine is a BUSINESS.

Ridiculous.
God damn you're easily triggered. I didn't say anything about altruism, working for free or any of the nonsense you're talking about, nor did the op. Read better, though that might get in the way of making mediocre rants.

Most of the competitive specialties have long, hard residencies; ex urology. Derm is the exception, but if op hates derm we circle back to my point. And no, to maximize money at low hours the op shouldn't look for the highest paid specialties, they should look for the highest paid per hour