Speciality programs and Licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

health

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Meggs,

I am new to this website and am delighted to find lot of valuable info being posted in it.
My background in India is BDS, MPH from BU and currently doing a second yr dental public health residency.
I did not give boards yet but am planning to give by Aug/Sep 04 (both I&II).
I know that we can do a 2 yr program like AEGD or a clinical specialty( along with boards+licensure exam) to be able to practice in many states. But I read in this site that a 2 yr dental public health program would be sufficient to take up licensure exam in some states. Is it true?
Do you know anybody who gave licensing exam directly (other than CA, like MN,TX)? I want to know about how to do it? How difficult it is? How to prepare for it?
Do you have any other options in mind for me to go to clinical(except advanced standing) at this time of the year?
I would greatly appreciate your reply and thanks for your patience.

Health

Members don't see this ad.

That I remember I don't know anybody who has gone this pathway, but some other forum members do. In any case, you should contact those states where you think you'll be allowed to practice and ask them what kind of licensure will you get if you apply to it by you DPH degree. As Kajal pointed out in some thread, there seems to be some states which will only grant you that specific specialty licensure.

About licensing exams..... well the people who have posted this question here before, haven't gotten any good responses. So I guess you should take that question to the Dental Forum, where they are more senior dental students with plenty of knowledge of the area....... Now, in a couple of years hopefully this forum will have its own share of senior IDP students. :D

Sorry that I'm helpless about this, perhaps contacting personally each state board will be your safest way. Good luck!

Hi
I'm a dentist from India (B.D.S) and planning to join the MSD in Dental Public Health at Boston University followed by the CAGS. Do you know the scope for this program and what kind of jobs I can apply for after doing this without the boards.

Do you know if there is any scholarship available for International students for this program outside.

Cheers
Shaz

Originally posted by princess
Do you know if there is any scholarship available for International students for this program outside.

I dunno, but maybe try contacting large health organizations or pro-development organizations like WHO, UNICEF, BID, FMI, OEA, etc....