Specialization in Switzerland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,I'm medical student in fifth year in Sofia,Bulgaria.I'd like ti specialize in Switzerland.I speak English and German and as I know my Dyplome is recognised there.Please if someone can give me some informations about the way of getting in,I 'd be completely gratefull.I'm not sure is it better to send my CV in Jobagency (Arbeitsamt) or to applicate directly in the hospital.Also,I don't know how I can choose the discipline I'm interested in.As I'm informed,after my graduation I can look for a job as an Assistant Physician(Assistenzarzt).And after 5-7 years working I can get a specialization degree.Please anyone who is sure that I'm wrong,write me the real conditions in Switzerland.I want to get in Children's Heart-surgery.Which are the steps that I have to go through? Do you mean that I have real chances? ... Tnx

Members don't see this ad.

You have to post in the international thread (under Europe).

and Switzerland is pretty much impossible to get into unless you went to medical school in Germany or France/Belgium or Italy. Perhaps what you can do is try to specialize in Germany and then move to Switzerland after that. That's the only possible way I can think of. If you're an EU citizen, you might have preference but nevertheless, they rarely recruit medical graduates from Central and Eastern Europe.

Secondly, you also have to have a very good command of Swiss German or French (or Italian if you're working in the Italian cantons). And as you probably already know, Swiss German is quite different high German (Hochdeutsh) even though the Swiss use Hochdeutsch as their written language.

Ok.thanks.I'm thinking anyway of Germany as a option too.:thumbup: Are the rules and the steps same in bouth countries?

Actually they're quite different. I mean the exams are entirely different.

Secondly, in order to go to Switzerland, you should not only know high-German (which is the official written language) but also Swiss-German and I think there are very very few places (out of Switzerland) that actually offer courses for that language.

Perhaps, French would be more useful if you're looking into Switzerland only because it's more "learnable" Swiss German is just strange and unfortunately, the majority speak this language.

However, perhaps doing your specialization in Germany or Austria might make it "easier" to get into Switzerland because sometimes Switzerland recruits doctors from Belgium, France, Germany and Austria (depending on how many doctors they need.)