specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does it matter what dental school you graduate from if you want to get into orthodontics?
and how important is research to get into ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have a question similar to dental. I was wondering which one is more important: class rank or school reputation? I am deciding on which dental schools to attend next year and having a hard time choosing. Especially for ortho or oral surgery, you need to be top 5 in your class. However, does a top 5 rank at a medium level state school (Indiana, Kentucky, NOVA) equal a top 20 rank at a higher level private school (Penn, Columbia)? Which one would be better in terms of placing for a specialty program? Please let me know as I have heard from some people that rank is much more important, while others say that repution and contacts is big Thanks....

The school you went to is not that important. The two major factors in specialty application are your GPA/Class Rank and Board Scores (Part I). Right now the most competitive residency is Endo., then Ortho., Pedo. and OMS are probably the same. The most competitive residencies are the onse that are the easiest and earn the most money. In general, the smartest people in the class (most successful) will want a residnecy that will earn them lots of money after graduation and that is not very demanding. OMS is not as hard to get into anymore cuz OMS is usually 6 additional years of training and an Endodontist will probably earn more money and they only have to do a three year residency. Ortho and Pedo earn close to (perhaps slightly less) than OMS, but they are both only 2 yr residencies. Anyway, unless you are a social ****** a high GPA/Class Rank and high Part I board score will get you into a program.