Specializing in Psychiatry in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinyhandsbob

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have some questions regarding specializing in Psychiatry in Australia. (I am from abroad so not familiar with the system there) . Specifically:

1) How many internship/RMO years do most people complete before applying to psych residencies?
2) How hard is it to get into a psychiatry residency for the average Australian med school graduate? What % of applicants to psych residencies are accepted on average?
3) What are the main factors that psych residencies look at to determine who they accept?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

1) You can join as early as after your PGY1 as an Intern, but most people join after PGY2+ as a Resident, after having at least done one or more clinical rotations in Psychiatry as a junior doctor.

2) It's an undersubscribed specialty at the moment, so it's not as competitive to be accepted compared to other specialties. I don't know the exact numbers.

3) To join the Registrar program (n.b. specialty training in Australia is not called Residency), you need to show interest in pursuing the specialty, have had some experience as a junior doctor working rotations in psych, and good referee reports. Given it's not that competitive I don't think you need copious amounts of research or extra-curricular stuff in your application; although it doesn't hurt.

More information can be found directly on the RANZCP website: Become a psychiatrist | RANZCP
And the NSW Health website regarding choosing your specialty: Map My Health Career - Explore professions

1) You can join as early as after your PGY1 as an Intern, but most people join after PGY2+ as a Resident, after having at least done one or more clinical rotations in Psychiatry as a junior doctor.

2) It's an undersubscribed specialty at the moment, so it's not as competitive to be accepted compared to other specialties. I don't know the exact numbers.

3) To join the Registrar program (n.b. specialty training in Australia is not called Residency), you need to show interest in pursuing the specialty, have had some experience as a junior doctor working rotations in psych, and good referee reports. Given it's not that competitive I don't think you need copious amounts of research or extra-curricular stuff in your application; although it doesn't hurt.

More information can be found directly on the RANZCP website: Become a psychiatrist | RANZCP
And the NSW Health website regarding choosing your specialty: Map My Health Career - Explore professions

Thanks this is helpful! For #3, is it generally easy to find/ do psych rotations in most internships/programs or do some struggle finding the opportunity?

Members don't see this ad :)
join the RANZCP psychiatry interest form (PIF) and follow them on facebook

their facebook page has videos dedicated to providing junior doctors on how to plan your junior doc career towards psych and how to be a competitive applicant, etc.

psychiatry is relatively to get on, and there is a potential to get on after PGY1, but most get on at PGY 2 or 3 - i think this would be wiser as you have more time to make up your mind before committing to a lifetime career. psychiatry training on the hand is very difficult - according to some colleagues, not everyone can finish in the 5 years due to several grueling exams (I think the essay exam has a 30 something % pass rate)

Reactions: 1 users
join the RANZCP psychiatry interest form (PIF) and follow them on facebook

their facebook page has videos dedicated to providing junior doctors on how to plan your junior doc career towards psych and how to be a competitive applicant, etc.

psychiatry is relatively to get on, and there is a potential to get on after PGY1, but most get on at PGY 2 or 3 - i think this would be wiser as you have more time to make up your mind before committing to a lifetime career. psychiatry training on the hand is very difficult - according to some colleagues, not everyone can finish in the 5 years due to several grueling exams (I think the essay exam has a 30 something % pass rate)

Thanks! Are all psych residencies 5 years long? what you are considered position wise while you re doing psych training and are you still compensated at an RMO level?

If you’re accepted into the psychiatry training program, you would be considered a specialty trainee registrar for the duration of your training.

And remunerated at the registrar award level.

Is there a requirement to be an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen to get accepted into psychiatry training programs or for any needed licensing exams?

Not that I am aware of; most Colleges care about is that you pay your fees and meet their trainng requirements.

Aussie PR or Citizenship is only an issue with your employer if they have a preference towards hiring Aussie residents.

Regardless of your residency status, if you're a foreigner, Medicare will require you to spend at least 10 years in Australia prior to giving you an unrestricted Medicare provider number; that is, you can only practice privately in 'areas-of-need' (i.e. rural areas) until your 10 year is up, and you can practice metro urban areas. See 10 year moratorium on the Aus Gov Health website for details.

Not that I am aware of; most Colleges care about is that you pay your fees and meet their trainng requirements.

Aussie PR or Citizenship is only an issue with your employer if they have a preference towards hiring Aussie residents.

Regardless of your residency status, if you're a foreigner, Medicare will require you to spend at least 10 years in Australia prior to giving you an unrestricted Medicare provider number; that is, you can only practice privately in 'areas-of-need' (i.e. rural areas) until your 10 year is up, and you can practice metro urban areas. See 10 year moratorium on the Aus Gov Health website for details.

Assuming this only applies to working in private practice or private hospital ....so you can work anywhere in a public hospital before the 10 years is up? I assume most hospitals/medical settings in Australia are public...so that doesn't seem like a big limitation. Am I missing something?

Yes, in private practice you're renumerated based on Medicare billings from the Federal Government, plus private fees you may also charge to the patient's private health insurance or their own pockets.

If you chose to work for the State Government in Public Hospitals, and you're paid a salary for the work you do. So you're not limited by the Medicare restrictions the Federal Government may impose on you.