• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

jennys

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hey .. I got an 81 on the NBDE I and I have a 3.5 GPA. What are the average board scores for specialties (esp pedo/prosth)? What are my chances to get into a specialty? Thanks

capisce?

ssc machine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Hey .. I got an 81 on the NBDE I and I have a 3.5 GPA. What are the average board scores for specialties (esp pedo/prosth)? What are my chances to get into a specialty? Thanks

Prosth is doable pedo is going to be highly unlikely. If you are serious about either one you should retake the boards.

You've got it a bit backwards...by presenting board scores and then asking where you can fit into a specialty. You should want to do the specialty to begin with and then work for the board scores. Pedo and prosth? Probably the two most polar opposite residencies in dentistry.

Dr. Pedo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2001
Status (Visible)
An 81...could be worse...well not much but I think your chances for a specialty are good---especially in pedo. All you have to do is play with kids and that doesn't take much smarts.;)

About the Ads

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Neverland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
An 81...could be worse...well not much but I think your chances for a specialty are good---especially in pedo. All you have to do is play with kids and that doesn't take much smarts.;)

Kids nowadays are very smart. You need at least an IQ of 125 to be on the same level with the average IPOD carrying, Blackberry sporting 8 year old. ;)

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Prosth is doable pedo is going to be highly unlikely. If you are serious about either one you should retake the boards.

You've got it a bit backwards...by presenting board scores and then asking where you can fit into a specialty. You should want to do the specialty to begin with and then work for the board scores. Pedo and prosth? Probably the two most polar opposite residencies in dentistry.
Pretty much what I was thinking. If you really want to specialize, it should be in one area of dentistry. If you can't narrow your interests that far, you're likely much better off being a GP and slanting your practice toward your interests, rather than trying to specialize in something just for its own sake.

OMFSCardsFan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
Pretty much what I was thinking. If you really want to specialize, it should be in one area of dentistry. If you can't narrow your interests that far, you're likely much better off being a GP and slanting your practice toward your interests, rather than trying to specialize in something just for its own sake.

I disagree. I don't think an interest in two specialties necessarily means that you should abandon the thought of specializing in either one. The kid has plenty of time to figure it out. In any case, the question wasn't "should I specialize or be a general dentist"? The question was about a board score being good enough or not.

capisce?

ssc machine
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I disagree. I don't think an interest in two specialties necessarily means that you should abandon the thought of specializing in either one. The kid has plenty of time to figure it out. In any case, the question wasn't "should I specialize or be a general dentist"? The question was about a board score being good enough or not.

Yes, but the question wasn't "is this board score good enough to do <insert specialty>".

Instead, it was: this is my board score and gpa, what specialty do I have a shot at. Most of us interpret that as meaning "I'm not necessarily interested in a specific specialty, but moreso the idea of specializing". Hence, the responses the given.

jennys

10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
to clear it up.. i am equally interested in both... i know they are not alike at all but I just like both fields. I want to know if I have a shot at either.. if I have a shot at one Id be happy with that choice.. if I had a shot at neither, I might retake it or as someone posted, just focus my practice on both those fields...and if it was good enough to get into a specialty somewhere in both fields.. then Id have to decide which one i liked more. Thanks for the posts.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.