specializing without bachelor's degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehop24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm sure most of you know, a small percentage of students enter dental school every year without a bachelor's degree. Most dental schools see this as a perfectly acceptable practice. However, I recently heard that students without bachelor degrees have trouble being accepted for specialization after getting their DDS/DDM. In my last undergraduate semester, I can either take the 4 courses required for a degree (chemical science/worthless), or I can take biochem 2, immunology, vertebrate physiology and some business courses. I just don't want to be put in a precarious situation 4 years from now if I choose to specialize. Suggestions or info?

Members don't see this ad.

A DDS is an undergraduate degree.

I certainly thought so, but the admissions committee at the University of Florida acted otherwise. My interview there is what prompted this thread. They said, in their experience, students without a BS don't get into specialities.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting - I thought that most people who went to dental school without BAs or BS's or other degrees were highly qualified, which is why they were initially accepted. Doesn't seem to jive that they would be excluded later on. just my thoughts.

ricegirl

according to the classes i would take, i would be more qualified without a degree. Florida says it's a "formality". even if nobody has a clue about this issue, does anyone know where i could search out more definitive answers?

Actually, I believe a DDS degree as analagous to a MD, analagous to a JD, is a Masters degree not a Bachelors.

I certainly didn't pay undergraduate credit hour rates for my Doctorate degree! I'm a Doctor of Dental Surgery. I don't hold a BDS ,if you go to school in the US or Canada you will have a doctorate degree also.R.Scott DeBruin,D.D.S.