specializing without bachelor's degree?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by ehop24, Oct 28, 2001.

1. ehop24

ehop24 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

As I'm sure most of you know, a small percentage of students enter dental school every year without a bachelor's degree. Most dental schools see this as a perfectly acceptable practice. However, I recently heard that students without bachelor degrees have trouble being accepted for specialization after getting their DDS/DDM. In my last undergraduate semester, I can either take the 4 courses required for a degree (chemical science/worthless), or I can take biochem 2, immunology, vertebrate physiology and some business courses. I just don't want to be put in a precarious situation 4 years from now if I choose to specialize. Suggestions or info?

2. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A DDS is an undergraduate degree.

3. ehop24

ehop24 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I certainly thought so, but the admissions committee at the University of Florida acted otherwise. My interview there is what prompted this thread. They said, in their experience, students without a BS don't get into specialities.

4. ricegirl

ricegirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's interesting - I thought that most people who went to dental school without BAs or BS's or other degrees were highly qualified, which is why they were initially accepted. Doesn't seem to jive that they would be excluded later on. just my thoughts.

ricegirl

5. ehop24

ehop24 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

according to the classes i would take, i would be more qualified without a degree. Florida says it's a "formality". even if nobody has a clue about this issue, does anyone know where i could search out more definitive answers?

6. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, I believe a DDS degree as analagous to a MD, analagous to a JD, is a Masters degree not a Bachelors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Ineedanassociate

7+ Year Member

I certainly didn't pay undergraduate credit hour rates for my Doctorate degree! I'm a Doctor of Dental Surgery. I don't hold a BDS ,if you go to school in the US or Canada you will have a doctorate degree also.R.Scott DeBruin,D.D.S.