Specialties??? I'm new

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pd098

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
nvr

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personality tests (including myers-briggs) are not accurate at all. You shouldn't factor thise into a decision. Just use them for fun. At this point focus on getting to med school and figure out which specialty by then end of 3rd year. Choose a specialty based on:
Interest of subject
Patient population/day to day grind of clinical practice
Income/job market
Lifestyle
Length of training/intensity of training

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day, you will have to choose a specialty based off of EXPERIENCE. Your perception of a specialty may be completely different from what it's actually like in practice. The only way to truly know is to be in the setting of the physician of a certain specialty by shadowing/observing a doctor of that field. On your free time start exploring specialties that interest you and see what fits you best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it if you can't decide. It's not a bad thing to think about it right now, but most third year medical students are still totally undecided about specialty, and that is usually the right place to be in.

Wait you took a personality test to decide a specialty? What?

Just take a deep breath and let the experiences you gather blossom into (a) The physician you want to be and (b) where you want to work as a physician. No test anywhere is going to be able to tell you where you're going to be happy working for 40 years.

That actually kind of rustles my jimmies that there are "tests" to determine where tf you should specialize in.

Edit: clearly I did not read the rest of the troll post past the first paragraph. Got me opie

Wait you took a personality test to decide a specialty? What?

Just take a deep breath and let the experiences you gather blossom into (a) The physician you want to be and (b) where you want to work as a physician. No test anywhere is going to be able to tell you where you're going to be happy working for 40 years.

That actually kind of rustles my jimmies that there are "tests" to determine where tf you should specialize in.

Edit: clearly I did not read the rest of the troll post past the first paragraph. Got me opie
Yes I took It because I thought It would be a cool idea and I thought that 3rd year med students took it, I wanted to be more focused and btw I'm not a troll, I'm new.

you should do pediatric cardioneurothoracic orthosurg