Specialties in which you can work part-time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just lazy, but in the future, I don't want to work more than say 8 months out of the year (and use the other 4 for travel), or alternatively, work only 3-4 days a week. Which specialties allow such a lifestyle?

With some residencies, like FP, such things are impossible, since patients get sick 24/7, so you can't say "Sorry, but I only work 3 days a week, so you'll have to wait a few days before you come in..."

But I'd think that other specialties might allow such a lifestyle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ruban said:
Maybe I'm just lazy, but in the future, I don't want to work more than say 8 months out of the year (and use the other 4 for travel), or alternatively, work only 3-4 days a week. Which specialties allow such a lifestyle?

With some residencies, like FP, such things are impossible, since patients get sick 24/7, so you can't say "Sorry, but I only work 3 days a week, so you'll have to wait a few days before you come in..."

But I'd think that other specialties might allow such a lifestyle.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

there are a lot of specialties that allow for part time work...it really depends on if you want 4 months OFF per year or part time 3-4 day per week work. You can work part time in FP if you share a position with another person ( a lot of dr. moms i know do this) and i have seen this done in peds, internal med, and psych as well. you can also work part time in EM in a community setting as you may be able to choose how many shifts per month you want to work. of course you would be sharing a salary as well and can expect to make half as much as a full time doc. if you are looking at taking blocks of time off you can do locums work in which you do contract work in areas looking for docs (in all fields) and you choose how long you want to work at a time. i have also seen offers for radiologists that had 3 months of paid vacation per year. you can make a lot of money that way as it is considered full time, but i don't think you would be able to take 3 months at a time off...it likely has to be spread over the year...the only specialty that i can think of where part time wouldn't work so well would be gen surg

my wifes family practice physician is closed every friday, my grandfathers cardiologist works 2 days per week and the plastic surgeon i shadowed takes a week off every month. now they are all VERY well established but it can be possible in almost any field.