specialties that deal with surgery but specifically parasites/infectious disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry, i know the title is long. i REALLY love infectious diseases and recently got really into parasitology. are there any specialties that specifically deal with things like removing nematodes and such from intestines or where ever else? would this be a general surgeon who happens to do it or something else?

i really want to shadow someone like this, so it would be really helpful if i knew what i was looking for.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, i know the title is long. i REALLY love infectious diseases and recently got really into parasitology. are there any specialties that specifically deal with things like removing nematodes and such from intestines or where ever else? would this be a general surgeon who happens to do it or something else?

i really want to shadow someone like this, so it would be really helpful if i knew what i was looking for.

thanks!

Probably not. Wouldn't you just take a anti-parasitic drug? Also, probably not much need for those types of doctors in America.

Colorectal surgery? That's the best that I can come up with (though I'm sure the overwhelming majority of cases don't include nematodes :p).

Members don't see this ad :)
Not in the US at least. Here ID usually = HIV and other immunocompromised patients plus other hospital stuff, usually troublesome bacteria. I've never seen any ID surgical procedure, but I've only been in hospitals for 3 yrs, so I'm sure it happens somewhere.

Colorectal surgery? That's the best that I can come up with (though I'm sure the overwhelming majority of cases don't include nematodes :p).

that would make sense. i'll see if i can get in touch with any!

Probably not. Wouldn't you just take a anti-parasitic drug? Also, probably not much need for those types of doctors in America.

also my thinking, which is kind of a bummer. not that i WANT people to have those types of issues, but i find stuff like that fascinating.

Train in general surgery and then go to a 3rd world country and you'll see guinea worms, Ascaris, Chagas and all sorts of nasty cutaneous lesions. Sounds like you'd be better suited to go for IM-Infectious disease though.

If you're really interested in infectious disease, you're best bet (as mentioned) is to go the internal medicine route, then ID fellowship. You're just not going to get to do the kinds of operations you want to do in the US (except very, very rarely).

thank you for the input. i guess i shouldn't be surprised that there's more of a need for those types of doctors other places in the world