specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyrabanks

Reaction score
Hello,

If anyone wiser (residents/ attendings) could shed some light on what they have learned so far (what actually matters), what they wish they had considered before picking their specialty, anything you deem pertinent I would greatly appreciate.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously I’m biased and think ENT is the best thing ever, but it’s definitely a surgical residency and it’s a lot to endure if you aren’t all that jazzed about operating. Long cases, long hours, brutal call - all par for the course with surgical fields. Surgical subs can be especially brutal with call because most are “home call” which means you can work a full day, be on call and at the hospital seeing patients all night, and still be expected to work the whole next day and doing so does not violate any acgme hours requirements. Worth it if you love operating and doing the things ENTs do.

Anesthesia looks like a fun field as well, lots of variety and flexibility in practice. I think there are a lot of people on the fence between them and anesthesia seems to be the classic choice for ent and other surgical residents who pull the ripcord and switch fields midway. Everyone I know in the field is extremely happy with their choice.

Reactions: 1 users