Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBEAR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone want to specialize within dentistry. If so which one and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not pre-dent but I'll give you my two cents. If I were, I would like to go in to Oral Maxilla Surgery. I think that is what it is called. That is the guy/gal that does jaw reconstruction, impacted tooth removal, and all the really messy stuff. I know one that really loves what he does because he says he gets the best of both worlds. He gets to do the fine detail work that DDS/DMD do but also the more advanced medical stuff like complex surgery and anestesia. Also, he likes the fact that he gets to be on call at the hospital once or twice a month for emergency surgery. He said that although it is a pain somtimes, it is rewarding to have that kind of responsability. It is also a very select group of people. There are not a lot of them so they are respected alot with in the medical community. I think the guy I know said that in Wisconsin ,were we are from, they only allow 2 dentist in to the program a year. Well, that is what I would do.

I'm keeping my options open entering dental school next year, but OMS is something that I find very interesting. But I have not even started dental school so who knows.