Quantcast

specialty breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlameItOnTheNurse

i have a friend of mine who is a statistic fanatic. He has tried to use #'s to decide what area of specialty to enter.
some of the variable are as follow:
1. The number of hrs the avg physician in that area of medicine works
2. the # of yrs that you do residency
3. The PAY(of course)
4. malpractice insurance

others include:
A.#'s of hot nurses
B. chances that he might work w/Dr. foxy
C. How much enjoyment the job brings w/it
-in that order
Seems that the best pay was the cardiovascular surgeon, least hrs was nuclear medicine(whatever that means), and least malpractice is couch potato

Do you guys runs stats and theorize what you might do later in life??
There just hasn't been too many interesting post lately.
where is everyone at...spring break?

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think you should use statistics for this purpose unless you are choosing a specialty that'll make you richer than all the rich doctors. It is just too much of a qualitative thing to judge in this manner!

Although I do like some of your criteria :wink:

~Dra. Foxy in disguise

Whisker Barrel Cortex

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried using a numbers system when ranking residencies. I gave percentages to 7 different factors: location, teaching, call, benefits, etc. I filled out about half the places I interviewed at then abandoned it. I ended up ranking more with a general feel for the place. I've been kicking myself that I didn't apply to Florida since Dra. Foxy will likely be there next year. Oh well.

B

BlameItOnTheNurse

Whisker Barrel Cortex,
guess i gotta get into Florida also. So now i see how they are making U. of Florida and ivy league school.

i will tell my buddy to add those factors to the formula. i will post formula when completed

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as criteria #4: malpractice insurance, how do we find out how much the insurance cost is by specialty?

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.