Specialty Organisation and Societies that are FREE for Med Students to Join?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4trees4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

MS 2 here. So I've been looking into national medical specialty societies of specialties that I might be interested in to join. Id like to get more exposure/ make connections/ perhaps attend a conference, etc. I've found 2 so far:

Society of interventional Radiology
American College of Physicians

Anyone know of any others that are FREE for med students to join (No dues)?

Also, has anyone gotten any practical benefits from joining these societies other then adding that we are a member to our CV?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You must love spam email

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Seriously, I'm in 4 and my inbox can't take anymore. The fees for most specialty organizations are minimal for medical students. I don't remember how much I paid for my EMRA membership since it was handled through our club but my ASA membership was $10 for a year. Its basically nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined AAFP to get their practice questions during M3, I think I had to join ACP to get IM Essentials, and I joined one subspecialty society to get a better rate on conference registration (and because it's the group of the field I'm applying to).

If you want to get exposure/connections and attend a conference you should find a research project.

I'm *fairly* certain the AAP has eliminated dues for med students. They were charging when I was a student, so I didn't join, but I think they eliminated the fee after I became a resident.

The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM) is great as well - many Program Director's of Internal Medicine are Hospitalist's and heavily involved with SHM. Highly recommend to join!

American Academy of Neurology is free for med students

A bit more specialized but the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology is free for medical students. The Endocrine Society and the American Thyroid Association are both nominal fees as well (~$20?).

RSNA (for radiology) is free for both students and residents, I believe.

American Psychiatric Association membership is free for students, and so are their meetings (APA and IPS).