specialty path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorE2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that if I wanted to specialize within peds (eg, neonatology) or OBGYN (high-risk OB/ maternal-fetal medicine) that I would first do a general residency in peds or OB, and then do a fellowship in the particular specialty? I'm not too familiar with this process. Is a fellowship a step up from resident? Is the salary still crappy and work hours as tough as residency? I ask because I'd like to have a family SOMEDAY and was wondering what the specializing process was like.

Members don't see this ad.

doctorE2010 said:
Am I correct in assuming that if I wanted to specialize within peds (eg, neonatology) or OBGYN (high-risk OB/ maternal-fetal medicine) that I would first do a general residency in peds or OB, and then do a fellowship in the particular specialty? I'm not too familiar with this process. Is a fellowship a step up from resident? Is the salary still crappy and work hours as tough as residency? I ask because I'd like to have a family SOMEDAY and was wondering what the specializing process was like.

I am reasonably sure you are correct. Same as how if you want to be a cardiologist or gastroenterologist, you have to start out as internal medicine.

Yes, you are correct concerning fellowship being an optional step following residency. Basically it is a way to reach sub-specialization within a particular field. Typically Fellows are paid like residents (minor pay increase) but no where near the range of attendings. Depending on the fellowship, however, the hours might not be bad at all...because it is so specialized, you likely will have a very narrow focus of clinical responsibilities that may lend itself to very good hours. Other times, however, the hours can be just as bad as residency, it all depends on the specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctorE2010 said:

Yup. Fellowships are basically a "second residency." Salary and hours are basically the same.

Get Iserson's Guide to Getting a Residency at Barnes and Noble or something....dont even have to buy it...just thumb through it next time you are at a bookstore (assuming its there...I've seen them a few times). It talks about the different specialties, fellowships available, requirements, etc.

And if you are a medical student already for those reading this, you need it. Definitely worth it. May be a little late for MSIVs right now though.

OSUdoc08 said:
Yup. Fellowships are basically a "second residency." Salary and hours are basically the same.

Must depend on the speciality. I think the salary is similar to residency, but the hours seems a lot better at least where I am.

dr.z said:
Must depend on the speciality. I think the salary is similar to residency, but the hours seems a lot better at least where I am.

If you are in your 4th year of residency or the 1st year of fellowship after a 3-year residency, the concept is the same.

Every year, you get paid a little more, and get less hours.

You are still a "trainee" and don't get time off like attendings.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you are in your 4th year of residency or the 1st year of fellowship after a 3-year residency, the concept is the same.

Every year, you get paid a little more, and get less hours.

You are still a "trainee" and don't get time off like attendings.

To make a blanket statement like that is simply not true. It totally depends on the specialty, as was said previously. A first year cardiology fellow will work more hours than a third year Medicine resident. On the other hand, a Neurophysiology fellow will typically work fewer hours than a 4 year Neurology resident.