specialty scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crayolared

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please comment on minimal scores/grades to specialize? I am curious on what is needed possibly if I want to specialize right out of d. school of after a year of GPR residency.

Some people say that there is a minimum needed on NBDE part I/II of 90 to specialize in OMFS or ortho or mid-80s for pedo or perio, etc. I am interested in those that applied, your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone please comment on minimal scores/grades to specialize? I am curious on what is needed possibly if I want to specialize right out of d. school of after a year of GPR residency.

Some people say that there is a minimum needed on NBDE part I/II of 90 to specialize in OMFS or ortho or mid-80s for pedo or perio, etc. I am interested in those that applied, your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

I heard a while back the med schools that participate in 6yr OMS programs figured out people who scored above a 92 on NBDE part I were significantly more likely to pass step I USMLE than those who scored lower than 92. I always thought 92 was the number to beat. But, this is all speculation. I guess above 90 is a good goal. Don't think part II matters much if you're applying during dental school. I have heard that trying to get into OMS once you're a private practice general dentist is very difficult.

thanks!!!

what do you think about other specialties like pedo, ortho, and perio?

Members don't see this ad :)
Minimum for all specialites: 75.