Specialty-specific book recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okokok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a couple threads I've seen with book recommendations. I'm interested in reading books (enjoyable, narrative books, not technical or strictly informational) about specific specialties. For example: Complications by Gawande about surgery, God's Hotel by Sweet about internal medicine. I'm particularly interested in reading narratives pertaining to oncology, endocrinology, or psychiatry, but others as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It's true that there is a ton of really good internal medicine (Ofri, Transue, Sanders and many others) and surgery narratives, surgeryl in particular with many subspecialties (general - Gawande, neuro - When the Air Hits the Brain, ortho - Hot Lights Cold Steel, cardio and transplant - King of Hearts, peds - Walk on Water).

A great book about cancer is, of course, The Emperor of All Maladies, though it's more of an informative than a narrative book.

Some good psychiatry books I can think of are Danger to Self (ER psychiatry) and The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog (pediatric psychiatry).

Emergency medicine: Something for the Pain (a lot of other EM books, but most of the ones I've seen are of a lesser quality).

Oh, and for people interested in neurology - Oliver Sacks. Of course :) Also less known but about as good - Harold Klawans. And, to some extent, Robert Sapolsky.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! Really looking forward to checking these out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not written by a physician but by a patient's spouse: The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett. Very good book about the emotional, financial and physical costs of cancer care in the US.

Not written by a physician but by a patient's spouse: The Cost of Hope by Amanda Bennett. Very good book about the emotional, financial and physical costs of cancer care in the US.

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check that out soon.

Final Exam: A Surgeon's Reflections on Mortality by Dr. Pauline Chen (surgery and palliative care)

There was a previous thread that has a collaborative list of medical books to read that I cannot seem to find. Can anyone link it here please? Thank you.

I am finishing a book called This Wont Hurt a Bit (and other white lies) by Michelle Au. She started a residency in pediatrics and switched over to anesthesiology.
Two birds with one stone :)

There have been a couple threads I've seen with book recommendations. I'm interested in reading books (enjoyable, narrative books, not technical or strictly informational) about specific specialties. For example: Complications by Gawande about surgery, God's Hotel by Sweet about internal medicine. I'm particularly interested in reading narratives pertaining to oncology, endocrinology, or psychiatry, but others as well. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I'd like to echo what Amygdarya said earlier. I'm currently reading The Emperor of all Maladies and loving it; a truly comprehensive, eloquent account of cancer and oncology from its earliest beginnings. This is coming from someone who always had aspiration to be a Psychiatrist. Along those lines, I would strongly recommend a book called "A Primer of Drug Action: A Concise, Non-Technical Guide to the Actions, Uses, and Side Effects of Psychoactive Drugs" if you're interested in that field. Oliver Sacks is great too, although his work branches out into Neurology as well.