specialty-specific forums...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommassieblue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! Since the demise of medschool.com, I feel like we've been missing out a lot on the forums that were available for each of the major specialties. So I was wondering, especially given the popularity here, whether or not it would be possible to try to recreate that. There seem to be so many questions about every field that it might be easier if we could organize the posts and have separate places to go for all the different tastes out there. Is that something that the moderators (if you're out there listening) could set up? What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Check <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/guide/medstudent/specialties/index.html" target="_blank">here</a>.

it would be better if the specialty forums were integrated to the main.

Members don't see this ad :)
These specialty-specific links are somewhat helpful, but many of the specialties are extremely outdated, especially in terms of their competiveness ("Anesthesiology only fills 70% of its spots on a year-to-year basis," etc.)

So read with caution.

Thanks, Frank

While I am all for ease of information access, I am not convinced that the traffic we get here warrants individual forums for each of the specialties, even the "big ones". To do so would require a fair bit of work, more server space and preferably, Moderators for each of the different specialties (we could fill some spaces but not most). The vast majority of users here are pre-med/allied health so this Forum really doesn't get very many hits.

However, if there is a large demand and the other Administrators think it a good idea, I will certainly back it.

The now defunct medschool.com had forums for each specialty (with mostly attendings as moderators). There was a decent amount of posting in each forum.... I would love to see this on studentdoctor.com.

What about forums just for the "big" specialties---IM, Surg, maybe anesthesia, OB/GYN and rads if there are enough people?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by dingiswayo:
•The now defunct medschool.com had forums for each specialty (with mostly attendings as moderators). There was a decent amount of posting in each forum.... I would love to see this on studentdoctor.com.•••••I agree that the Medschool.com forums had a good amount of posting in the specialty forums. However, I have yet to see evidence that the Residency Forums herewith are as popular. Medschool.com seemed to attract more medical students and residents than SDN does (we have more pre-meds).

As far as attendings being Moderators, that's a suprise. Most of them I looked at had residents as Moderators.

Any rate, my earlier comment still stands, if its a really popular idea and the other Admins approve it, I will back it.

I see your point Kimberly---

I was a regular over at medschool, and there was a very different demographic of posters there--- and as for attendings being moderators, that was only for a few forums, the "Physiology" and "Anatomy" ones.

Well, whatever the decision is, I'd certainly understand, considering the constraints you guys are under.

There was an attending for the PM&R forum from U. of Kentucky.

Anyway, if there was a need for specialty specific forum moderators, I'd be glad to help out.

I certainly understand the technical difficulties it would take to pull off these separate forums. I don't know if it would possible to find out who some of those people were who moderated the forums at medschool.com to do that here. Of course I'm sure it would still be a huge undertaking nonetheless.

As for the issue of popularity, I think the picture you see now is not totally accurate. If the separate forums were up and running, you would see a huge increase in traffic, especially given the fact that the new application season is about to start. I think a lot of people stumbled on medschool.com, found those forums, and joined the community, as was the case for myself. Word of mouth would then spread and who knows where things would go from there.

Just by reading the kinds of posts on the main forum of people with questions covering so many fields, I believe the demand is out there. There just isn't a vehicle for that demand to be expressed. Anyway, in case you couldn't tell, I would very much be in support of it all.

i support the idea, and think that if we had such forums that SDN would attract more med students/residents/maybe even a few attendings because there is no other good source out there. Also, there have been so many discussions of specialties, that it would be nice to have the future ones organized into specific fields.

the specialty forums are necessary so that those engaged in the speciality can transmit information efficiently and ... actually i do not find many words to describe the need for them. they seem just "needed" at this time. they do not have to be moderated, or they could be "moderated lightly" [because we are responsible, and there should not be as much traffic]. if the current users of SDN are pre-med; it would be beneficial to broaden the user-base.

as far as nomenclature goes; i would create a folder called "Specialization" in the Medical Forums Area, and link that to the master list (the following page) of specialities. i think it would be wise to list all specialities to see if each one is touched upon. and also since ultimatebb technology is easy to use. perhaps questions of many pre-med/med users will funnel into this area as well.

i would keep the structure of the specialization forums simple, with no descriptions or moderators. the users will be able to self-describe and moderate.

•••quote:••• As far as attendings being Moderators, that's a suprise. Most of them I looked at had residents as Moderators. ••••I followed medschool.com's ENT forum carefully, and the moderator there was definitely an attending. But my generalization about most moderators being attendings was probably wrong, as I'm sure you (Kimberlee) know much more about this than I. Sorry for the confusion.