Specialty stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thangbill

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a specialty/subspecialty (in both medicine and surgery) that is not highly stressful and gives time for taking care of family. Would general internal medicine fit into that description?
What do yall think, just in general, a stress scale would look like for all specialties/subspecialties?
Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I know it won't work, I'm going to do my best to do an /endthread here. Otherwise, this will just be another specialty penis-measuring contest. Stress is not quantifiable in the manner that you're asking. If you want to know which specialties work the fewest hours and permit the best lifestyle, then there is plenty of discussion available via the search function.

Reactions: 2 users
Aside from the obvious (derm, ophtho, radonc, pm&r, etc.) here are some others that come to mind:

IM --> allergy

IM --> rheum

OB --> REI

Gensurg --> breast

The residencies are tough but the fellowships and practice are chill

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
General internal medicine might fit that if you are a hospitalist and then it still heavily depends on the hospital you join. You might work a week or two at a time, might do some night weeks, but then you will likely have some entire weeks off, too. The weeks you work could also be very stressful or could be chill, depends on how the services are structured, how busy the hospital is in general, and luck I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm biased, but I think ophthalmology is a great choice --> nice mix of medicine & surgery; generally good lifestyle; gotta love eyeballs tho and be ok with something that's very specialized

Rhem for IM. Possibly Medical Genetics as well but I've never heard anyone talk about it.