Specialty through GPR required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im curious but do specialty programs for like Endo or Peds, require you to go through a GPR program to gain some experience. So say the Endo is 2 years long and GPR is one year long. That means your spending three years in total after graduation?

I heard that its hard to get into specialty without doing a GPR.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not entirely true. Some pedo programs are well known to not take applicants who have already done a GPR. GME factor involved.

Not entirely true. Some pedo programs are well known to not take applicants who have already done a GPR. GME factor involved.

"GME FACTOR" - it is important to programs to receive GME(Federal Funding).
The limit the funding to approved graduates (ADA-CODA approved schools). They also limit the # of years funded at the full rate. Since Peds may have GME funding, the last year may only qualify for 50% of the GME amount. School based programs, programs not getting GME there is no problem.

All graduate programs look at the best candidates. The better your CV looks the easy it can be. Last year, I had one resident accepted to peds at Indiana, another at Louisville

Members don't see this ad :)
What about endo. Do most competitive applicants have GPR under their belts?

again, each program is different, and each year is different. If the applicants are all very strong, it may be harder to get in. I haven't had a resident want endodontic recently. Before we did have a resident apply and get into endodontics. She is now our section chief of endodontics.

One of my resident last year (GPR) is doing endo this year. Although she had excellent grades and boards, the endo program wanted her to do a year of post grad training before starting the endo program. Needless to say she did a lot of endo in my program, and was an excellent resident. I have had many residents go on to pedo from my program. With the training they receive from our in house pedo program as well as training in special patient care (RFK Center) and our strong OR program, they are generally excellent candidates.

Short answer: mostly yes. I applied to a large number of endo programs, some of which I did not know at the time would really only take people with "experience" (GPR/AEGD or several years in practice). I was able to get in without a GPR, but I know it is far easier with the experience. That being said, if you are really anxious to make it happen and you have the money for the applications and interviews, I'd say, go ahead and apply. Worst thing that can happen is you don't get in, do a GPR, and then re-apply. Good luck!