Specific advice on a LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

falcomist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was waitlisted at my top choice in March. We were told to express our interest in staying on the waitlist by sending a letter on May 15 telling them we'd rather go there than the school we would otherwise be going to, and that's exactly what I did. I didn't write much else, including the fact that the school was by far my top choice, since those were our instructions.

As the summer goes on, my chances of getting into this school are looking slimmer and slimmer, and I don't know what to do now, since I'm worried it would look weird if I sent them another letter...but I'm starting to feel pretty anxious since I want nothing more than to go to this school. Do you guys think I should send another letter? How would I even word it given the fact that I already gave them a letter of interest (intent?)? I have no updates to give.

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

So I was waitlisted at my top choice in March. We were told to express our interest in staying on the waitlist by sending a letter on May 15 telling them we'd rather go there than the school we would otherwise be going to, and that's exactly what I did. I didn't write much else, including the fact that the school was by far my top choice, since those were our instructions.

As the summer goes on, my chances of getting into this school are looking slimmer and slimmer, and I don't know what to do now, since I'm worried it would look weird if I sent them another letter...but I'm starting to feel pretty anxious since I want nothing more than to go to this school. Do you guys think I should send another letter? How would I even word it given the fact that I already gave them a letter of interest (intent?)? I have no updates to give.

Thanks for the help.
We can see the orientation date for the school where you are holding an acceptance. You have already sent the requested communication. Sending another will not change the availability of seats or your orientation date. These are the things standing in the way of an offer, not another "LOI".

I forgot to mention that this school does not have a ranked waitlist and re-evaluates all waitlisted applicants whenever a spot opens up. Do you still think that in a system like this, it still wouldn't matter that they didn't know they were my top choice? My feeling is that if they did know, it might slightly increase my chances when they compare me with other applicants -- especially, for example, if those applicants have already mentioned that the school was their top choice too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that this school does not have a ranked waitlist and re-evaluates all waitlisted applicants whenever a spot opens up. Do you still think that in a system like this, it still wouldn't matter that they didn't know they were my top choice? My feeling is that if they did know, it might slightly increase my chances when they compare me with other applicants -- especially, for example, if those applicants have already mentioned that the school was their top choice too.
Maybe it's different at other schools but we received about 150 promises of undying affection (in the form of "LOI's"). This has become SOP for waitlist candidates I'm sorry to say, so it's hard to see how this would distinguish you.

It wouldn't distinguish me, but if everyone has sent that kind of letter, then right now it may look like the other applicants are much more interested in the school than I am even though it's actually my top choice.

It wouldn't distinguish me, but if everyone has sent that kind of letter, then right now it may look like the other applicants are much more interested in the school than I am even though it's actually my top choice.
No, we have learned that this type of communication is not reliable with regard to intent, that's all. It has little effect on your application or theirs.

I'm in a state in which the majority of matriculates have to leave home to go to medical school. If you are holding at an OOS school, we already know you would be happy to stay here. Another letter will not open up that opportunity, though.

No, we have learned that this type of communication is not reliable with regard to intent, that's all. It has little effect on your application or theirs.

I'm in a state in which the majority of matriculates have to leave home to go to medical school. If you are holding at an OOS school, we already know you would be happy to stay here. Another letter will not open up that opportunity, though.

I see -- thanks for the advice.