Specific Community Counseling programs--seeking suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking to apply to counseling psych MA programs for Fall 2012. After doing much research related to MSW programs, I am deciding to also apply to a few MA counseling programs to leave my options open.

First- am I correct in assuming that the "community counseling" programs are most likely to give me a good theoretical base and also allow me to become licensed as a limited licensed psychologist in private practice (I know it varies by state.) The counseling and counseling psych programs fall under several departments and within various specializations- so I want to be sure that "community counseling" is the closest to what I'm looking for.

Also wondering if anyone could shed light on some of the well regarded MA programs. So far I have only looked into the community counseling program at William and Mary, which I plan to apply to. Anyone have any specific knowledge of the program, or the reputation of others?

Many thanks to anyone who may have helpful information!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am looking to apply to counseling psych MA programs for Fall 2012. After doing much research related to MSW programs, I am deciding to also apply to a few MA counseling programs to leave my options open.

First- am I correct in assuming that the "community counseling" programs are most likely to give me a good theoretical base and also allow me to become licensed as a limited licensed psychologist in private practice (I know it varies by state.) The counseling and counseling psych programs fall under several departments and within various specializations- so I want to be sure that "community counseling" is the closest to what I'm looking for.

Also wondering if anyone could shed light on some of the well regarded MA programs. So far I have only looked into the community counseling program at William and Mary, which I plan to apply to. Anyone have any specific knowledge of the program, or the reputation of others?

Many thanks to anyone who may have helpful information!!

CSUN's MA program (clinical or experimental) claims a good acceptance rate to PhD programs.
http://www.csun.edu/csbs/departments/psychology/index.html

MA programs have been discussed recently--you might benefit from using the search function to pull up those recent threads.

CACREP is phasing out "community counseling" and instead the *new* term is Clinical Mental Health Counseling. W&M is a fine school with some great faculty!

I think what is most important is fit - programs have different feels - and you could go to a highly rated program and have a disappointing experience and go to an unknown program and have a great experience. If you can go anywhere you want, I would focus on fit.

How to figure out fit? Go visit! Read the recent publications by the faculty. Talk to current students and recent grads about their experience and go visit!

HTH,

Vasa Lisa

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the suggestions. I've searching MA counseling psych and am not quite finding the info I'm seeking regarding specific programs-- or where/how to begin the search. ACA does have a searchable directory, but even that was tough to find. And still can't locate a "top programs" list such as the ones for PhD and MSW programs. But I'll keep checking SDN & the interwebs...

Oh, I guess I responded to the wrong one. But thanks for weighing in about fit. That's exactly what I'm hoping to do...just scrambling right now to find reasonable places to apply to for Fall 2012-- probably won't visit unless accepted, as I don't currently have the time/resources for travelling to potential schools.

probably won't visit unless accepted, as I don't currently have the time/resources for travelling to potential schools.

I would encourage you to visit before you commit to a grad school. And the "good" schools will require an admissions interview - hence a visit.

A clinical school that admits you site unseen is likely to offer a very different experience than a school that requires an admissions interview.

YMMV,

Vasa Lisa

How to figure out fit?...Talk to current students and recent grads about their experience

This is good advice, but may not save you from making a mistake. Grad students are motivated not to say anything bad about their programs, or simply may have a different experience than you. You may have better luck on the Internet--people can be a little more candid because of anonymity.

Read the recent publications by the faculty.

That's great advice.