Specific Letters from a Letter Packet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school only sends one large letter packet to AMCAS containing all of my letters. My issue is this -- Do I need to make specific letter packets for each school, since every one has different LOR requirements?

I also have the issue of being an electrical engineering major -- I figured some schools would count, say, Biomedical Instrumentation as a "science" LOR and others wouldn't, and I was going to call them and ask to make sure. My science LOR's are not as strong -- one professor hardly remembered me, and the other is from a TA.

Right now, I have a lot of letters in my letter packet:

2 E.E., 2 Science, 1 Volunteer, 1 Research, 2 Humanities.

This just seems like a lot more than the average adcom wants to read.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now, I have a lot of letters in my letter packet:

2 E.E., 2 Science, 1 Volunteer, 1 Research, 2 Humanities.

This just seems like a lot more than the average adcom wants to read.

Any thoughts?

Will your school be writing a committee letter? Because if they are, pretty much anything goes for the attached letters. SO if you have a committee statement, you can have only 1 science letter, etc. and it won't really hurt you.

On the other hand, if your school just sends a letter packet with no composite statement, then I don't know. Someone else want to chime in?

Thanks, john. Yeah, my school DOES NOT send a composite letter, just the whole packet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, john. Yeah, my school DOES NOT send a composite letter, just the whole packet.

My school does the same thing (packet with no committee), my pre-med advisor said to just send all the letters you need for every school in one packet (if if one school needs 3 science and another needs 3 research you send 6 letters total to both schools). They'll sort out what they want. Even if they have a max of say 5 letters and your packet has 6, they'll accept the packet (since it shows up as one letter on AMCAS anyway).

I'd only suggest making separate packets if say, only one schools needs a volunteer letter and you know its a weak letter that could potentially water down other letters. Then I'd make a packet with and without the letter so you don't have to send that one weak letter to every school just because one school needs it

I had exactly the same questions as OP and was abt to start the same thread... lucky that I found this. Most of my questions are already answered here. Thanks fellow SDNers!