Specific Step for Kreb Cycle and Glycolysis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovelucy

This is Lucy.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we need to memorize all of the steps to Gylcolysis and the Kreb Cycle?

I haven't had biology in a while and it seems daunting and a waste of time if I won't have to know the exact order of the steps for each.

I plan on knowing the over all idea/how they work and the total ATP produced. Will this be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if we need to memorize all of the steps to Gylcolysis and the Kreb Cycle?

I haven't had biology in a while and it seems daunting and a waste of time if I won't have to know the exact order of the steps for each.

I plan on knowing the over all idea/how they work and the total ATP produced. Will this be sufficient?
i think you're on the right track by just knowing the main idea and how much ATP is produced. Knowing what's oxidative phosphorlation and substrate level.

If there's any question based on steps in glycolysis or kreb cycle, it will be given to you in the passage.

You don't need to have each step memorized, but you should have a good understanding of what happens in the three major parts of glucose oxidation (glycolysis, krebs cycle, and electron transport chain). More than the individual steps, knowing what happens during each part when certain cofactors (like NADH, ADP, CoASH, etc.) are limited or in excess is the most important thing to know. Ask yourself questions like, "if NADH wasn't wasn't getting oxidized back to NAD+, what would happen to glucose oxidation?" The questions on the MCAT are conceptual and they won't ask you for random specifics, unless given in the passage.

I think you don't need to know the specific steps, but I would handcopy all of the steps a couple of times - that way, if there happens to be some reference to one of the intermediate products in a protein metabolism question (eg alpha-ketoglutarate), you'll recognize it. this advice may border on paranoia, so disregard if it seems like a waste of time