Specific type of verbal question difficulties/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhaseShift11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've read up on a lot of the threads on verbal including the sticky.

I've done my homework and kept a log of the types of questions I get incorrect most often.

Now I'm here to ask for advice on how to tackle these specific types of problems.

I use a mix of Kaplan's terminology/question types and my own definitions, and I've found that I get evaluation and deduction questions wrong most often.

Evaluation
Examples: What is an unstated implication...
The passage implies a distinction between...
Which challenges one of the assertions...
Author's argument applies only to...

In other words, it is evaluating the author's argument, its structure, construction and its boundaries.

Deduction
Examples: Author would argue that...
Which assumption is implicit...
Which is the most reasonable conclusion...
What is believed by the author....

In other words, it requires deduction by using the author's argument and determining what its assumptions are, what can be concluded from it, and what the author would argue/believe.

So has anyone had similar problems with these types of questions before and how did you change your mindset to help improve in these areas? Or if not then what general advice do you have to help me with these types of problems.

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.