Speed of sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mp07d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that speed of sound is fastest in a solid because of its high level of IMF and gets slower as you become a gas. Also, I get that higher temp means higher KE means faster velocity....But..what if a question asked which would have the fastest speed of sound?

Steel ( 0 celcius)

or

Gas ( 100 celcius)

..Would the IMF still take precedence there? Is there ever a point where at a high enough temp the speed of sound would travel faster in a gas or liquid?

Members don't see this ad.

For example ( even though these are in same state ) hot air vs cold air

Hot air is LESS dense than cold air, but sound still travels faster in it bc of the higher energy.

I'm just curious about different phases

I have no idea which would play a greater role (I still assume sound travels faster through Iron even at that low temperature vs. gas) but if they will ask about this, they'll have a formula or something in the passage that you can derive the relationship from!

hmm, youre right, they would have to include an equation in the passage for something like that. Even so, it would benefit us to know the trend just in case its a ridiculous equation and you don't have the time to work it out..Or to verify if your answer is right.