Speed of Sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The observed speed of sound is SLOWEST in:

A. a vacuum
B. air
C. water
D. salt water

Answer: B

Even though technically the speed of sound in a vacuum is 0 since sound cannot propagate in a vacuum, I guess we have to "observe" sound to also "observe" its speed. No help needed here, just wanted to complain about a stupid TBR question. Something like this on the real mcat would really piss me off because, depending on the test writer, the "correct" answer could be A.

Members don't see this ad.

Answer: B

Even though technically the speed of sound in a vacuum is 0 since sound cannot propagate in a vacuum, I guess we have to "observe" sound to also "observe" its speed. No help needed here, just wanted to complain about a stupid TBR question. Something like this on the real mcat would really piss me off because, depending on the test writer, the "correct" answer could be A.
Stupid question...I would have chosen A as well.

This is a dumb way of thinking about it but think of it as say, 4 person race. If one guy doesn't show up for the race, is he still considered last place? no, he's just disqualified and the last place guy (i.e. slowest guy) would be one of the 3 remaining competitors. But yeah, I agree it's kind of a confusing question.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I also chose answer A for this question. I am well aware that sound travels the slowest in air, but I had the same logic as the OP (no vacuum then speed of sound could be considered 0 since there is no sound!). If this was on the real MCAT, would A or B be the correct answer?

Thanks!