Speed reading and MCAT's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCTORSAIB

Ophtho or bust!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I am planning on taking a Speed reading class before the April 2001 MCATs. I am thinking that this will help me not just on the Verbal section, but also on the other sections. If anyone has taken speed reading...could you please give me some feedback as to how helpful it is/was for MCATs and in med school...thanks all!

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad.

I have never had speed reading, but if it helps you skim a text for the main topic,then it should help. Kaplan says not to read for detail and get bogged down, but to get the main idea and supporting info and go to the questions.

Good luck

woo...thats what i hear speed reading does...helps you read much faster...w/o sacrificing detail....if so...then i may have found the secret weapon to killing the Verbal section.......i guess not much of a secret anymore...ahah....i'll take speed reading...and hopefully by June 2001 i will let everyone know if it worked....take care all...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB

Members don't see this ad :)
i took speed reading, and i thought it was kind of pointless. of course, i took it as an elective at my university and it probably wasn't taught very well. it seemed like most of the people in the class should have taken "just reading" before they dove into speed reading, if you know what i mean. so, if you are taking a pretty structured class and can put time into it, then it could help. i, however, got nothing out of the class, and thought it was a joke. as far as the mcat goes, i don't know what to tell you. if you can skim pretty well as it is, then you should be fine, but if you're trained to read word, next word, next word.... then maybe you do need to take the class. i could skim alright before i took the class and don't think i mastered the technique any more so through taking the class.

Guy...thanx for your reply...i have heard mixed comments about speed reading.....personally, i think its one of those things that requires practice..and with a little practice will come good results,if not a huge increase in reading speed. Regardless, im thinking of borrowing a speed reading tape and booklet set from the library before class starts...maybe that way i can start practicing before class starts and make the most out of the classtime. Maybe then i can be one of those people who's life has been transformed by "Speed Reading"..ahha...or maybe not!..take care all...
smile.gif

DOCTORSAIB