yumimartian

yumimartian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
52
0
San Francisco, CA
Status
I was just wondering if any of you have used speed reading techniques to boost your verbal score? It makes sense if it helps you grasp the main idea of the passage quickly right?
 

Broccoli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
195
1
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't speedread VR, I think it would lower my score...
 

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
Broccoli said:
I don't speedread VR, I think it would lower my score...

Yes Broccoli is right. I used to read fast ( by reading 3-4 words at one shot). I found that I was concentrating more on how to speed read rather than following what the author is trying to say.

Give 3-4-5 minutes reading the passage depending on the difficulty level.Dont bother with speed reading you'll be OK with out it..

GL :luck:
 
About the Ads

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
4,369
1
Status
MD/PhD Student
I didn't speedread. I read at a normal/comfortable pace. To save time and meet the 85 minute limit, you should worry more about answering the questions efficiently.
 

harrypotter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
434
1
Visit site
Status
I found that the faster I read, the worse I did. I think reading too quickly made me miss changes in tone and overlook details that would contribute to forming a good main idea. I found when I read more slowly, I was able to remember more and increase my accuracy.
 
OP
yumimartian

yumimartian

yumimartian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
52
0
San Francisco, CA
Status
thanks for all your advice everyone.i agree that reading rapidly does lead to less retention of info, but only in instances when you read at speeds that surpass your comfort lvl. but the speedreading technique's goal is to increase both speed and comprehension proportionally. in that respect, speed reading should be effective dont you guys/gals think? my issue at the moment is that i'm a slow reader and that results in me not being able to finish the verbal section on time. :( so yah....
 

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
4,369
1
Status
MD/PhD Student
yumimartian said:
my issue at the moment is that i'm a slow reader and that results in me not being able to finish the verbal section on time. :( so yah....
How long are you taking to read each passage? (approximately)
 

SorceryX

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
9
0
Status
Pre-Medical
yumimartian said:
thanks for all your advice everyone.i agree that reading rapidly does lead to less retention of info, but only in instances when you read at speeds that surpass your comfort lvl. but the speedreading technique's goal is to increase both speed and comprehension proportionally. in that respect, speed reading should be effective dont you guys/gals think? my issue at the moment is that i'm a slow reader and that results in me not being able to finish the verbal section on time. :( so yah....

Me either, I can never ever ever finish Verbal. I speedread.......but I still can spend 10 minutes on a passage and get only 2 right on a passage....
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
yumimartian said:
I was just wondering if any of you have used speed reading techniques to boost your verbal score? It makes sense if it helps you grasp the main idea of the passage quickly right?
No, it doesn't make sense... and this is from someone who used to know how to speedread (about 800 words a minute in my "prime").

You're right that you'll get the "general idea" when speedreading, but you lose a lot of the nuance that questions look for. Basically, you read by phrase, line and sentence, as opposed to by word. Your quote would, to me, look like "wondering speed reading boost verbal score grasp idea passage?"

It's very hard to differentiate between what the author said, and what someone else said that the author agrees with. It's also hard to see how MUCH the author agrees or disagrees with his/her own ideas.

The worst part is, you lose many many details in the process... so when you get one of those "in line 87..." questions, you HAVE to go back, thereby erasing any benefits from speedreading in the first place.

So in conclusion, don't do it. :oops:
 
OP
yumimartian

yumimartian

yumimartian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
52
0
San Francisco, CA
Status
thanks again for everyone's advice. i believe it's supposed to take us maybe 4 minutes to read a passage? but sometimes i ttakes me perhaps 6 to finish reading a passage. but it depends on the passage length. i also still have some trouble grasping the main idea within a passage so i was considering picking up some type of literature (not sure what kind just yet...ie national geographic, the economist, the atlantic....??) to increase my reading speed and comprehension. as for humanities passages, what type of literature would be best? maybe some philosophical novel? hmm???
 

kaybam20

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
163
1
33
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no point speed reading when you can go straight to the anwers, as that will give you enough time to finish and relax.











People will never remember how fast you did a job, they only care about how well you accomplished it.
 

redsoxfan

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
361
3
Status
i scored a 12 (1 ques short of 13) on Kaplan test 4 by taking my slooowww time to read everything. i think when i try to read fast it's a waste of time.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,737
1,901
Status
Attending Physician
I raised my verbal score considerably by completely abandoning everything TPR taught and just reading the goddam thing properly.

I read one pass slowly and make sure I understand everything. Then I answer the questions. No tricks. Works for me. If you practice this way a few times you find you do much better on time because you're not constantly scanning the passage, which can lead to lots of errors anyway.

Disclosure: I scored 10 on verbals on practices, so this way of doing it may be limiting if you're shooting for 15. I don't know how people on that level operate.
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
notdeadyet said:
I raised my verbal score considerably by completely abandoning everything TPR taught and just reading the goddam thing properly.

I read one pass slowly and make sure I understand everything. Then I answer the questions. No tricks. Works for me. If you practice this way a few times you find you do much better on time because you're not constantly scanning the passage, which can lead to lots of errors anyway.

Disclosure: I scored 10 on verbals on practices, so this way of doing it may be limiting if you're shooting for 15. I don't know how people on that level operate.
Did you finish all the passages?
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,737
1,901
Status
Attending Physician
RAD11 said:
Did you finish all the passages?
Yes. I dropped TPR's logic of just doing 7 or 8 like a hot potato.

On some tests, I have to rush read the last one.
 
About the Ads