Speeding in different states?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question here.

At what level is speeding enforced in MA, NH and VA ? Coming from the California Autobahn, I don't want to get a ticket when I'm back east.

Also, for those of you coming out to Southern California, even though the speed limits are 65 or 70 on the freeways, anything under 80 is fine, 80-90 you need to keep an eye out, and 90+ you are pushing it.

Members don't see this ad.

i have lived in california and new england and haven't really noticed any difference with leniency when it comes to speeding. i have gotten tickets for going just under 80 in both places. :rolleyes:

Watch out in Virginia. They patrol really heavily on the interstates and give lots of tickets. They're not always nice people either. And radar detectors are illegal.

Members don't see this ad :)
tulips said:
Watch out in Virginia. They patrol really heavily on the interstates and give lots of tickets. They're not always nice people either. And radar detectors are illegal.

I second this.

Code Brown said:
Quick question here.

At what level is speeding enforced in MA, NH and VA ? Coming from the California Autobahn, I don't want to get a ticket when I'm back east.

Also, for those of you coming out to Southern California, even though the speed limits are 65 or 70 on the freeways, anything under 80 is fine, 80-90 you need to keep an eye out, and 90+ you are pushing it.

I'll have to negate this last piece of advise. Comming from the Las Vegas autobahn I was pulled over by CHP while traveling with the flow of traffic on I 10 a few weeks ago going to an interview. Sucked :mad: Any advice on getting out of CHP tickets, my friends with LV Metro PD have no contacts there. :)

Some interstates in Mass. (like Rte. 128/ I-95) are only 55 mph so be on the look out. Most other places are 65 mph and I've been told by police officers that it is generally acceptable to be going a max of 10 mph over the limit.

just a reminder though. always carry around some spare cash. there's tolls all over the place on the east coast (not just for crossing bridges)

pandamonium said:
just a reminder though. always carry around some spare cash. there's tolls all over the place on the east coast (not just for crossing bridges)

I picked up this girl on the side of the street for a little action and after we were done, boom, she hits me with a toll; things are different on the east coast my friends...

Depending on where you are, and how much traffic around, you can get away with 80. I've been driving out the mass pike toward Albany, NY doing 85 in the left lane with a long line of traffic. I've also seen people get pulled over for doing 75ish. The one word of advice I'd give you, just judge it to what people around you drive and you'll be fine, some going faster, some going slower is fine. If there's no one/few people around, keep it under 75 :) enjoy

P.S. watch for 55 mph on the mass highways in and around boston... also, if you're in the big dig, don't go over 45, they LOVE to hide in there and get you...

Medicfletch said:
I'll have to negate this last piece of advise. Comming from the Las Vegas autobahn I was pulled over by CHP while traveling with the flow of traffic on I 10 a few weeks ago going to an interview. Sucked :mad: Any advice on getting out of CHP tickets, my friends with LV Metro PD have no contacts there. :)

Sorry to hear that. Was that in the valley, or before you hit the valley, because once you hit the LA area, Orange County or San Diego, you are quite safe at 80 and will have to get out of the fast lane. I had it on cruise control at 85 for 60 miles yesterday and it was business as usual.

It is mostly 55 mph on a pretty long stretch from JFK to Yale. I also remember seeing two crown victorias (with the super-tricky lights not on the top of the car but in the back window) along the way hiding out on onramps.

Don't forget the loop hole that it's NOT necessarily illegal to have a radar detector, just illegal to use it. Turn it off when you get pulled over and your in the clear. It's like having a cable descrambler - legal to have, illegal to use.