speeding ticket/ misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleurs38

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a speeding ticket less than a year ago for going 29 miles over the speed limit. Bad I know... and this is classified as a misdemeanor. I reported it on my AMCAS. I know I made a mistake but I still hope to become a M.D. Do you think that schools will still consider me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey a classmate of mine got a DUI and she was not kicked out of the program so I think you are fine. By the way what type of car do you have? I drive a Camaro Z28 and have gone over the speed limit way more than that before.

I don't think it should be a problem. Young people make mistakes, and I know plenty of pre-meds who have nicks on their record. As long as it isn't a violent crime like assault or battery you should be ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt a single speeding ticket will adversely affect your chances (even classified as a misdemeanor).

You should be concerned if you have a record that demonstrates reckless behavior or other poor decision making. If you have a clean driving record since then you should be ok...

still, I would plan on explaining it in some secondary essays and in some interviews.

Thanks.. you are all making me feel better. I don't have anything else on my record either. I guess I will just have to wait and see what schools say.

I drive a Nissan maxima btw. haha not exactly a Camaro ;)

we were supposed to report speeding tickets? ... oops .. funny that it didn't show up on the CBC

I got a speeding ticket less than a year ago for going 29 miles over the speed limit. Bad I know... and this is classified as a misdemeanor. I reported it on my AMCAS. I know I made a mistake but I still hope to become a M.D. Do you think that schools will still consider me?

Seriously?

DO NOT WORRY. My offense was more serious, and my school did not revoke my acceptance. Just be very honest and do not deny anything. Also, if any charge was reduced, notify the school. What I was arrested for was not what I was convicted of, and I still had to explain the arrest to the school. I was honest and so fortunate to still be admitted into their Medical program.

Thanks.. you are all making me feel better. I don't have anything else on my record either. I guess I will just have to wait and see what schools say.

I drive a Nissan maxima btw. haha not exactly a Camaro ;)

that is a nice car, but seriously I have been pulled over a lot and my school doesn't care, and or know. I don't know how that works but I am sure that a speeding ticket will not hurt you. Best of luck.

How about a "no seat belt violation" in NJ? It's a non-moving violation, but is it a misdemeanor or simply an infraction?

How about a "no seat belt violation" in NJ? It's a non-moving violation, but is it a misdemeanor or simply an infraction?

Bump...
I'm curious about that too. I've got a non-moving violation as well...

not a lawyer here, so don't take my word as law but my understanding is that non-moving violations and traffic tickets are below misdemeanors.

You'll know when you have a misdemeanor, pretty sure you have to go to court or at least get involved with a lawyer if you're charged with misdemeanor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a speeding ticket for going less over than that. In my state all speeding tickets are misdemeaners. I called my family lawyer, he said I needed to report it since amcas does NOT say "do not include traffic citations"

My advice is to call the place where you got the ticket and ask how they classify it. That is how I found out my speeding ticket was a misdemeanor. If it is, you should put it on AMCAS.

what if you get accused of a very serious crime but did not get charged for it? should you mention it?

what if you get accused of a very serious crime but did not get charged for it? should you mention it?

No.
Being accused does not equal Convicted. AMCAS asks about convictions if I remember well.

Bump...
I'm curious about that too. I've got a non-moving violation as well...

I just found out that it depends on the state. Terminology/classification varies from one to another.

Misdemeanors, especially automotive ones, aren't really what they're after. But you did the right thing by reporting it, because they would have found out about it anyway. I had a worse one, and it didn't stop me from getting in anywhere.

I'm going to go with the general mantra of the pre-allo forums: You're gonna be fine.

i had a misdemeanor (knife in my luggage) but i got it expunged. should i report this? and if so how do i report it?

i had a misdemeanor (knife in my luggage) but i got it expunged. should i report this? and if so how do i report it?

I'm pretty sure expunged = never happened and doesn't need to be reported. I'd double check with AMCAS/a lawyer to be sure, though.

only if they were a misdemeanor (they generally aren't)... some secondaries will ask you to report them, though.

I called the bureau of investigation and they said that only misdemeanors and felonies which you WERE ARRESTED AND FINGERPRINTED FOR will show up anywhere on any CBC.....when AMCAS/secondaries ask about misdemeanors they usually are looking for DUI, MIP, DWI, reckless driving, etc.......not necessarily some ticket you paid a fine for and were never actually arrested or anything....

at the same time, just because you werent arrested doesnt mean that its not a misdemeanor...they wont really tell you if it is or not unless you call the court and ask....so I think the traffic misdemeanors which are not DUI, DWI, reckless driving, etc. arent really something you would get in trouble for not reporting

I called the bureau of investigation and they said that only misdemeanors and felonies which you WERE ARRESTED AND FINGERPRINTED FOR will show up anywhere on any CBC.....when AMCAS/secondaries ask about misdemeanors they usually are looking for DUI, MIP, DWI, reckless driving, etc.......not necessarily some ticket you paid a fine for and were never actually arrested or anything....

at the same time, just because you werent arrested doesnt mean that its not a misdemeanor...they wont really tell you if it is or not unless you call the court and ask....so I think the traffic misdemeanors which are not DUI, DWI, reckless driving, etc. arent really something you would get in trouble for not reporting

Yikes. Last time I go 115 in my Corolla. Although I did get from Detroit to NYC in 8 hours....