Speeding up lectures creates worse doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laughingfrog

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think that the new generation of doctors, who were raised on speeding up talking to 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, or even 2.5x , will be impatient and rush patients along? It might be subliminal messaging like nodding head aggressively when the patient is trying to explain a problem etc.. I was thinking that physicians already have to work to establish a rapport with patients and being accustomed to a fast rate of hearing might hinder that

Members don't see this ad.

I think insurance companies are the main things creating impatient doctors.

I very much doubt that how doctors received lectures during the first 2 years of their 7+ years of training has much impact on how they treat patients.

Besides, your patients are generally not unbearably droning on about their research into irrelevant intricacies regarding the cell cycle. (I say generally because I have actually twice encountered patients who were professors of one sort or another and were pedantic about it. That said, one of them was manic and the other was probably delirious.)

Reactions: 14 users
I think insurance companies are the main things creating impatient doctors.
This.

Also, speeding-up lectures has existed for quite some time and isn't limited to this current generation. One of my mentors graduated from med school in '72-'73. A while back he and I were talking about differences in med school between when he was a student and now. He mentioned how most students during the first 2 years often skipped lecture and just studied the lecture notes they had to buy from the school. Audio recordings of most of the lectures could be checked-out in the library, which had equipment capable of increasing the recording speeds. I realize this wasn't the case for all schools back then, but finding the most efficient ways to cover lecture material in med school has existed for multiple generations of med students, and I highly doubt it has any impact on physicians eventually interact with their patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Speeding up a lecture does not translate to patient care. It's mainly a vehicle to optimize our studying time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
We only speed up lectures the first 2 years to get through all the monotony. We spend the next 2 years talking with real patients. Even then, a majority of doctors say they learn the most about taking care of patients during residency.

So no.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think that the new generation of doctors, who were raised on speeding up talking to 1.3, 1.5, 2.0, or even 2.5x , will be impatient and rush patients along? It might be subliminal messaging like nodding head aggressively when the patient is trying to explain a problem etc.. I was thinking that physicians already have to work to establish a rapport with patients and being accustomed to a fast rate of hearing might hinder that

Everyone is rushed & impatient now because of meaningful use & other similar BS.

Is seeing patients even mandatory? I hope in the future they can just record their visit so that I can watch it later at 3x speed

Reactions: 16 users
Is seeing patients even mandatory? I hope in the future they can just record their visit so that I can watch it later at 3x speed
That would be amazing. Then I could actually get my H&Ps done in a reasonable amount of time!
I almost always attended lecture in person in preclinical and I still get impatient with patients who take forever to provide any relevant information.

Last edited:
That would be amazing. Then I could actually get my H&Ps done in a reasonable amount of time!
I almost always attended lecture in person in preclinical and I still get impatient with patients who take forever to prpvide any relevant information.
Depending on the patient, i get the urge to hurt myself, esp when you try to guide the conversation and they still wax poetic about their cat and ex wife.

Is this an actual question?

I think this is an actual question.

Oh god.

No.

I'm sorry, I stopped paying attention after the first sentence. Do you have a more high yield version of your post?

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe worse in that I had to speed it up to make it through all the material and I'm super burned out... But other than that, no

This funny story is kinda related to the OP's post.

In the first two years of med school I ended up working 2-3 days/week (I have kids and my wife was laid off). So obviously time and money was short. I would double up on activities such as driving and listening to to lectures at 2x speed. To save money I also drove my...... motorcycle. You can see how a chronically sleep deprived guy riding a motorcycle at 70 mph whilst concentrating on med school lectures in a major metropolitan area might be a recipe for disaster.

Well, during our respiratory block I was flying down the freeway right before rush hour while listening to the Dean give a lecture on Croup at double speed. The Dean then gave an example of the barking seal like cough. This sounded hilarious. I started laughing hysterically. In the midst of trying to stuff my laughter down I sneezed (springtime..allergies. blah) and blew snot all over the visor of my helmet. So there I was, flying down the freeway on a motorcycle, blind as a bat, laughing and sneezing while listening to what sounded like a chipmunk having an asthma attack. I almost ran straight into a semi in front of me, but dodged to the right and barely escaped laying my bike down. I sat on the side of the rode for a few minutes trying to figure out if I should clean my visor or underpants first.

So the moral of the story is if you have to save time and money, you probably could find better ways than streaming lectures at double speed while riding a motorcycle. In fact, my anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that listening to lectures at high speed may not only produce worse doctors, but might actually produce dead doctors.

I roasted the Dean at the end of second year and played that clip of her barking like a seal at high speed. Risky, but totally worth it.

OP's thought process:

"I am not a student yet, but I think that speeding up videos makes worse doctors. I will make a post with this as a title... but wait... If I just put a question mark after the statment 'speeding up videos makes worse doctors,' it will look like I am actually curious instead of just putting my un-challenged beliefs out there like I want to. Then, when they click on the posting, they will be really impressed by the logic behind my statement"

OP - your logic makes no sense. Does listening to fast music make you impatient with patients? Does walking fast make you impatient with patients? Is Sonic the Hedgehog impatient with patients?

These are similar questions.